Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: INCA and UK ISPs Call for Near 100% FTTP Broadband Cover by 2026  (Read 5498 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: INCA and UK ISPs Call for Near 100% FTTP Broadband Cover by 2026
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »

As far as Black Sheep and Openreach go some pragmatism is needed.

BT will do the bare minimum required to get to where they want to be. They are governed by commercial considerations and politics. Some incumbent telcos have made an extra effort, some haven't. BT are perhaps somewhat disingenuous in claiming credit for things the BDUK project helped make possible, and are definitely guilty of totally screwing up what little FTTP they did deploy, but beyond that it's not unreasonable. They are a privately held company with a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. They are doing the bare minimum necessary to convince politicians and regulators not to break the group up, and have a duty to their shareholders not to do any more.

It opens up an interesting question; Liberty Global are investing billions in enlarging the Virgin Media network, a very long term punt, while BT refuse to entertain returns on investment so long, and interestingly the FTTC experience has shown BT that they got the expected returns on the FTTC investment quite wrong.

BT need a kick up the arse. This kick needs Ofcom's co-operation, but they are too fixated with the false 'competition' of LLU to deal with it. While they insist on driving down returns on investment not much will happen. Ofcom need to get out of this market and let the players properly compete, the ASA need to stop pretending hybrid networks are 'fibre optic' and incentivise full fibre.

The UK broadband market is broken, and was broken by Sky and TalkTalk, with Ofcom making it possible. BT, Virgin, etc, are just playing the cards they were dealt.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »

I think it shows how private companies act when given the responsibility for one of the main infrastructures of the country. Lots of short term investment, especially initially. Then when it as to follow its own board and shareholders it acts a lot more reserved.

Your right in what you say Ignitionnet. I guess I'm wondering how do we improve the situation? Or do we just wait for it to naturally move along slowly?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »

I think it shows how private companies act when given the responsibility for one of the main infrastructures of the country. Lots of short term investment, especially initially. Then when it as to follow its own board and shareholders it acts a lot more reserved.

Your right in what you say Ignitionnet. I guess I'm wondering how do we improve the situation? Or do we just wait for it to naturally move along slowly?

Tell BT they can retire copper if they overlay with fibre.

If Sky don't like not being able to give out free ADSL with their TV packages: tough.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »

What should have happened, IMO, is that the rollout of FTTP should have been subsidised and FTTC not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]