Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: High FEC Error Rate - Should I be Worried?  (Read 4549 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
High FEC Error Rate - Should I be Worried?
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »

I am on TT fibre large and using the HG635 as modem only with Telnet newly enabled on it so started collecting stats.
I'm still learning the best way of getting stats, what to collect and what they all mean etc. using dslstats as it's the only one that seems to work on this router(modem).
I am generally happy with the performance from a user perspective: I get consistent circa 50Mbps down speed test results with 10ms pings.
I can stream TV well when I need to. Perhaps the only gripe is an issue with my TV service which doesn't stream via the internet but does poll a server for decryption of encrypted channels constantly when viewing an encrypted channel. This sometimes gives a picture freeze, presumably because there is a glitch on the line (although I can't rule out the server at the other end). Anyway it is annoying but no great show stopper.
The one thing I have noticed since I started collecting stats a few days ago is the high number of FEC errors I am getting. A typical graph is attached along with a snapshot of my Connection Stats.
The other thing I am pondering is  the IMP and G.IMP status in my stats. I have seen it display G.INP enabled on the downlink before but I have been swapping modems out for test purposes with a VMG8924 and come back to the HG365 as I get better results with it (especially now I can get to the stats).
So my question for the experts, Is there anything I should be worried about in my ststs and is there anything I can do to improve things>
Any input greatly appreciated.
Regards
Clive

EDIT: Just to add: CRC errors look OK with short spikes to a max of 6 per min, more between 2 and 4 though.
SES seems to be zero and
ES/Hour seems to run at zero with the odd spike up to a max of 14
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:18:17 PM by cliver »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: High FEC Error Rate - Should I be Worried?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »

Those look pretty low to me.

If you compare to my line (GbEth on MDWS), yours looks very good!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »

The FEC rate is certainly keeping things busy - it suggests a pretty regular amount of noise throughout. Odd to see the plateau at exactly 1200 FECs/min.

As you mention, the consequent ES rate is low, suggesting that the modem is coping with this noise, so it shouldn't be a problem. However, it'd be useful to see how hard the retransmission section is working - from graphs such as "retransmit-tx", "retransmit-corr" and "LEFTRS".

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »

The plateau in the FEC errors is just where the graph cuts off/clips. I attach another with the clipping level set higher so you can see how high iot really peaks.
I can't find any mention of the other stats you mention "retransmit-tx", "retransmit-corr" and "LEFTRS" .
Can you point me to where I might find them? I'm using dslstats v5.8 as it's the only none I could get to connect and show data.
Thanks and Regards
Clive

EDIT: Sorry didn't attache the file :-0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:51:23 PM by cliver »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »

I can't find any mention of the other stats you mention "retransmit-tx", "retransmit-corr" and "LEFTRS" .
Can you point me to where I might find them? I'm using dslstats v5.8 as it's the only none I could get to connect and show data.

For me, there's a tab named "G.INP" and subtabs with each of the graphs - rtx_tx, rtx_c, and LEFTRS amongst others.

I can't see anything in the configuration tab that you'd need to tick to start logging this data ... so if you don't have those tabs, perhaps the data can't be extracted from the TT modem.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »

😢 can't see a G.INP tab anywhere. Are you using DSLStats?  I'm sure I have seen a G.IMP tab but can't remember if was using another stats package and/or on the VMG8924 now (it's an age thing ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »

The G.Inp data is extracted from the main --stats command. The OP attached a copy of this to the first post, and it shows the G.Inp data. What I'm not quite sure about is whether the attached set of stats corresponds with the modem currently in use.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »

Definitely using DSLstats, v5.8.2 ... I just plugged the Pi into the TV to check how it displayed them.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »

The G.Inp data is extracted from the main --stats command. The OP attached a copy of this to the first post, and it shows the G.Inp data. What I'm not quite sure about is whether the attached set of stats corresponds with the modem currently in use.

Hi roseway, I can't see the "retransmit-tx", "retransmit-corr" and "LEFTRS" stats that WWWombat is referring to, am I missing something?
The stats I am attaching all refer to the HG365 in use at this time.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »

Here's mine...

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »

Here's mine...
Interesting: I don't have the G.IMP tab or the Traffic tab on mine.
I notice you have version 5.8.2 mine only says 5.8
I downloaded it in the last few days from the dslastats web site (32 bit windows version)

Edit: found the setting for the traffic tab.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:06:54 PM by cliver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »

@cliver: You're quite right, I didn't look closely enough. Your stats suggest that G.Inp is enabled (they refer to Path: 0 and Path: 1) but they don't give the details. DSLstats looks for Bearer: 0 and Bearer: 1, which it doesn't find, so it doesn't enable the G.Inp tab. Even if it did, there would be no useful information to report, because the stats lack the normal "Retransmit counters" and "G.Inp counters" sections.

PS there's no need to upgrade to 5.8.2 unless you want to. 5.8 has all the G.Inp features.
  Eric

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »

@cliver: You're quite right, I didn't look closely enough. Your stats suggest that G.Inp is enabled (they refer to Path: 0 and Path: 1) but they don't give the details. DSLstats looks for Bearer: 0 and Bearer: 1, which it doesn't find, so it doesn't enable the G.Inp tab. Even if it did, there would be no useful information to report, because the stats lack the normal "Retransmit counters" and "G.Inp counters" sections.

PS there's no need to upgrade to 5.8.2 unless you want to. 5.8 has all the G.Inp features.
Thanks roseway that explains a lot.
So, thinking through the situation I have...
TalkTalk say the hg365 is G.INP compatible.
When you say G.Inp is enabled is that enabled on my modem or the DSLAM/DLM?
If it's enabled in the DLM and my modem is compatible why isn't it working and is there anything I can do to get it working?
Would it improve things if I do?
I'm wondering if there is any setup on the hg635 I have wrong.
I'm also tempted to put the VMG8924 back on to SD what it reports. It gave me slightly lower sync though.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

Your stats suggest that G.Inp is enabled (they refer to Path: 0 and Path: 1) but they don't give the details.

Well spotted!

When you say G.Inp is enabled is that enabled on my modem or the DSLAM/DLM?
If it's enabled in the DLM and my modem is compatible why isn't it working and is there anything I can do to get it working?

In this case, forget the word "enabled". It looks like G.INP is running on your connection.

When G.INP is active and running, the modem establishes 2 separate "bearers" on 2 separate "paths". Without G.INP, you get 1 bearer on 1 path.

When setup like this, the first bearer/path is meant to be for user data, and has retransmission defined. The second bearer/path is used for modem <--> DSLAM control messages (such as exchanging counters), and consumes a very small amount of bandwidth (about 64 kbps).

What seems to be different on your modem is that the --stats command describes the setup in terms of "paths", whereas most seem to describe them in terms of "bearers". And it doesn't display the retransmission counters at all.

However, even without these counters, the way the two bearers/paths are configured really does suggest G.INP is running.

I'm also tempted to put the VMG8924 back on to SD what it reports. It gave me slightly lower sync though.

I'm pretty sure that will give the stats in the "normal" way.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »

Well spotted!

In this case, forget the word "enabled". It looks like G.INP is running on your connection.

When G.INP is active and running, the modem establishes 2 separate "bearers" on 2 separate "paths". Without G.INP, you get 1 bearer on 1 path.

When setup like this, the first bearer/path is meant to be for user data, and has retransmission defined. The second bearer/path is used for modem <--> DSLAM control messages (such as exchanging counters), and consumes a very small amount of bandwidth (about 64 kbps).

What seems to be different on your modem is that the --stats command describes the setup in terms of "paths", whereas most seem to describe them in terms of "bearers". And it doesn't display the retransmission counters at all.

However, even without these counters, the way the two bearers/paths are configured really does suggest G.INP is running.

I'm pretty sure that will give the stats in the "normal" way.
Ah, thanks WWWombat, I was wondering what the second bearer was all about.

Thanks to you and roseway my knowledge of VDSL states is slowly growing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:18:52 PM by cliver »
Pages: [1] 2