Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: UK ISP Sky Broadband Officially “Completes” the Roll-Out of IPv6  (Read 9755 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: UK ISP Sky Broadband Officially “Completes” the Roll-Out of IPv6
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:13 AM »

Teredo is a built in tunnelling service in windows provided by microsoft for ipv6 traffic, so isnt to do with BT.

I'm wondering when BT or any ISP implement IPv6 will they give the information over to people to update our non-hub routers?

I noticed for my router it seems to ask for LAN stuff too.. here is the page: http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/113990

I'm not going to touch it unless I need to. I hope more information comes out about ipv6. So far the videos I've watched are confusing to me, so a total newbie will not stand a chance. I suspect a lot of non-hub people might be confused about what settings to put where.

On that asus I don't know why its even asking for a lan ipv6 address?

Anyways my post is going off topic.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:24 AM »

the ipv6 address, prefix and prefix length are fields that get populated, they not there for you to adjust when dhcp-pd is enabled.  So they there for information reasons only.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 08:58:06 PM »

streaming youtube over ipv6

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:13:27 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:33 AM »

for skyeci and anyone else on sky, fixed firmwares here.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/ipv6/58986-sky-ipv6-settings-non-sky-routers-21.html#post464860

john's fork has also been fixed so hopefully will be released publicly soon.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 06:58:23 AM »

Thanks Chrys

Shame my 87u fails to compile at the moment. Maybe now is the time to upgrade...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 02:37:58 AM »

android phone hates ipv6, better battery stats reports when screen off its awake 45% of the time on average vs the usual 2%.  I spent a couple of days fiddling with amplify and greenify scratching my head, then it clicked I recently enabled ipv6 on my network so forced ipv6 to off on my phone and presto battery life back.  So likely now need to toy with my dhcp6 server setup for the phones.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »

@Chrysalis - why do you think the battery life thing is happening?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »

probably related to dhcp6 calls.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 06:29:31 AM »

I ended up disabling both dhcpv6 and radvd and just manually assigning ipv6 to the devices I want it on.

I may look into it again in future but I dont want a blind automated stateless ipv6 configuration so this is what I will stick to for now, this means both my phones are ipv4 only but thats fine.

Android doesnt support stateful dhcp6, so I would have had to somehow mix stateless and stateful together on the same network.

--edit--

Found this app so may play with it again later.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.daduke.realmar.dhcpv6client
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:43:38 AM by Chrysalis »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »

Does DHCP-PD mean the router hands out ipv6 ip's to the devices or can we also set each device manually with an ipv6 ip?

How come ipv6 is so different to how ipv4 is? why didn't they just add more numbers to ipv4 eg. *.*.*.*.* etc ?

Is the ipv6 made up of the internal ipv6 + subnet + the ipv6 assigned from the isp?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »

> Does DHCP-PD mean the router hands out ipv6 ip's to the devices

Indeed. That's one way of doing it. But you don't need to have DHCP or manual config in IPv6. Devices can just make up addresses for themselves, with no need for a DHCP server. If they know the prefix assigned to the whole LAN (the IP address range for the LAN) then they can just generate an IP address for themselves that is globally routable. There are several ways of doing this, but one way is to just base the low 64-bits of the IP-address on the MAC address. IPv6 hosts always set up link-local addresses for themselves as well. Beginning FF80:, these are the equivalent of 169.254.* addresses in IPv4, not meaningful outside the LAN and not globally unique. Hosts can use always these link-local addresses to get going to begin with even if they don't (yet) know what the LAN's prefix (ie range of addresses) is. One difference from IPv4 is that hosts always have several IPv6 addresses.

> or can we also set each device manually with an ipv6 ip?
Certainly.

> How come ipv6 is so different to how ipv4 is? why didn't they just add more numbers to ipv4 eg. *.*.*.*.* etc ?

If you're talking about just the notation - One possible answer could be that it would start to look pretty long-winded. Hex is more compact than decimal, and the :: notation which means ‘pad out with zeros here’ is a great boon.

> Is the ipv6 made up of the internal ipv6 + subnet + the ipv6 assigned from the isp?

IPv6 addresses are made up of the
     prefix + host-ID
the prefix is the address of the subnet, high bits, on the left, and the host-ID part identifies the host on the LAN, the low bits, on the right. The split is usually 64 bits + 64 bits.

The prefix part of a globally routable, public IP address handed out by an ISP is typically made up of 48 bits + 16 bits where 48 bits are assigned to a customer, that customer can have 65536 LANs identified by the next 16 bits and then the remaining low-order 64 bits identify the host within a LAN. However other splits are possible, such as /56 + 8, or /60 + 4. Most home users probably can manage with 256 LANs, I would think.

An ISP might typically have a /32 assigned to it, in which case handing out /48s to every customer means only 65536 customers, which is not sensible. So ISPs would either need additional /32s, or a shorter prefix, or would need to be less generous /wasteful and not hand out /48s to everyone all the time. In my opinion we are going to have to be careful in getting these splits right otherwise we could end up going through the IPv6 space very rapidly with vast amounts of waste. A start would be not to encourage giving out /48s all the time, as domestic customers who wish for more than a single /64 (single LAN) can often be fine with a /60 (16 LANs) or a /56 (256 LANs). It's not a good idea for ISPs to have lots of non-adjacent /32s either as that means that the global routine table will grow like crazy.

IPv6 was an opportunity to fix all the weaknesses and mistakes in the old Internet and in the practices and assumptions that software had grown accustomed to. It's not just the headers that have changed. The algorithms that IPv6 subsystems and IPv6-speaking apps use are much improved. One example already mentioned is that of expecting there to always be several IPv6 addresses per interface. Hopefully, NAT is gone for good. Another example is auto-config mechanisms which are much more robust. The ‘source-selection algorithm’ is a further example of improvement: how operating systems are expected to choose the appropriate source address to quote in outbound packets is now a well-defined, standardised procedure. Some of the algorithmic improvements from IPv6 have been applied to IPv4 as well in some recent operating systems.

Apologies - this post has grown into a monster.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »

dhcp-pd is the router fetching the prefix and router ip from isp, also the dns servers to use if enabled to fetch.

dhcpv6 is a separate service lan side that is used to allocate ips to lan devices, radvd announces the route (default gateway) and manages stateless dhcp.

so my router still has dhcp6c running (dhcp-pd) but not radvd and dhcpd6s.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »

I stand corrected, I failed to read Chrysalis’s post properly.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:12 AM »

When will these isps get ipv6?

VM
BT
Plusnet
TT

It seems BT will get before Plusnet which is funny considering Plusnet started trialing it a few years back and is the isp aimed more at tech enthusiasts.
VM seem to be quiet on the issue and ignition said they have not got ipv6 capable peering poitns up yet.
No idea about TT.

:)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »

I have had to shutdown dhcp6c (my ipv6) because of some really strange behaviour on my router.

It has the symptons of a DOS attack against me.

Basically I first notice it when everything is laggy, packet loss etc.
The next visible issue is the wan LED is constantly flashing on the router indicating high pps on the wan interface.
Third if I login to the gui I see upload bandwidth saturation with slightly more downstream traffic.  This is odd as a typical inbound DOS would aim to saturate downstream to the target or be a attack that aims to saturate the processor.  This attack did not even saturate the cpu on my embedded router if it was an attack.  But it did do enough to make things very laggy and hinder connectivity.

If I kill dhcp6c the issue immediately stops.  However if there was a DOS against my ipv6 ip then I would expect it to resume the moment I restart dhcp6c which did not happen after the first event.

I suppose I should ditch this prefix and hope the next one is ok.

Recconecting now seems similar to the first even, traffic back but nuch lower bandwidth about 3mbit/sec, however the first time it then stopped after 30 seconds, this time it is ramping up in steps.

iftop shows nothing so as far as the router is concerned on its session data nothing is happening, likewise the per device traffic page shows just idleness.  So the traffic is not hitting any lan devices just the router.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:56:39 AM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3