Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bethere - Load Balancing Success  (Read 19288 times)

Re: Bethere Load Balancing Success
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

I've been following this thread, but so far have not understood a word of it... should I be worried?

Not until someone produces a spectrum analyser :P

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »

No that's my fault.

I originally posted it in the Tech Chat section because I did not want to bore or frighten anyone who was not interested but as with all my posts one thing led to another and me and Rizla have been trying to push my lines to the limit (Sorry mods  ::) ).

Basically What I am doing is effectively strapping 2 lines together. Say for example if you have 4 computers downloading at once from the internet, the router(load balancer) at the edge of my network would distribute the load evenly so that two of the downloads would go through one internet connection and two trough the other. That is what it is in its simplest form but it can get as complex as you would like(You could say you want 75% of the traffic to go down 1 line and 25% of the traffic to go down the other for example).

Hope that clears things up a bit.

James

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 09:49:26 PM »

Its very good rizla.

I am currently messing around with the radius server it comes with and captive portal.

The next version is going to be amazing by the looks of it  :) . They have completely redone the traffic shaper.

Just use good old VM Ware to have a look at it  ;) (there's a guide with the settings for the VM on the site somewhere)

EDIT: I first found out about it at the bottom of the monowall website as there a button  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:51:54 PM by jabns »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:41 AM »

Ah I see it's something to do with networking, no wonder I haven't a clue... I've not even been able to set up a simple file sharing system between 2 PC's (don't ask).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »

>> I originally posted it in the Tech Chat section

Interesting thread and Ive moved it  to the Networking section :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »

Have you got any time to upload them pics (Just a gentle nudge  ;) )

singhwon

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »

I had a browse around the pfsense site, could you explain it in abit more detail if you have the time?

Is like another OS for a computer that you run to do your network bonding and traffic ?

I currently have two bethere lines, One on pro package and one on the regular package, I get speeds of

18.5/1.3

and

20/2.5 

Neither of them have been DMT'd

I havnet read into much detail about how to load balance and bond my lines.

Would it play any benifit say If i was to use it for gaming,

Any help you could shed on the subject would be of great help to me.

Cheers.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »

Check this post of mine out for a little more info on the differences in bonding and load balancing :http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1911.msg62830#msg62830.

Before I go into detail about whether it could help you, how many devices(PC,Servers,360,PS3 ect...) do you have on your network.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »

Yep - although they need resizing and putting on a page.  I was at a couple of exchanges and need to sort out the best.
I was away last weekend hence not getting chance.. and then for the past couple of days Ive been indulging in setting up the new network and cabling...  oh and playing with my new connection  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

:lol: kk

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »

Rizla i just put a bit cardboard down the middle of the junction box and resynced both lines and i have just got around 500kbps extra out of one. Just about to go and check the modem stats in a min.

Here is a pic of the improvment(I have left the CPU stats in ect so you can see what sort of gear  you would need ect...)

P4 and 1GB RAM is way to much but its all I had lying around.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:32:32 PM by jabns »

singhwon

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 02:58:35 AM »

Yep - although they need resizing and putting on a page.  I was at a couple of exchanges and need to sort out the best.
I was away last weekend hence not getting chance.. and then for the past couple of days Ive been indulging in setting up the new network and cabling...  oh and playing with my new connection  :D

Ive got 2 PC's running, one which I use for storing all the files in the house
2 Laptops - used for streaming stuff off my main pc.
X360 - 360 proabably what I need the bandwidth for. Im a top UK gamer, plays halo 3 competitivley and I host alot of games. I want to make my connection like as crisp as I can get it for other gamers playing on my host.

What would you reccomend to use for Bethere.

P.S. Im on xleague fairly often and attend halo 3 lan events.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »

James - did moving the wires/putting cardboard in do anything to the upstream?

Your downstream WILL vary due to time of day - eg I have 0.8dB variation on the downstream margin which results in a downstream speed variation of about 800kbps. Of course you're not going to see this on Be as they don't use SRA, so you're going to have to find the noisiest time to sync if stability is the overwhelming consideration.

Edit - the periods on the graph where you see my connection synchronised at the fastest speed is when our central heating is ON. I'm not kidding, the noise on the line decreases when the central heating comes on, and increases by 0.4dB as soon as it turns off. Voodoo science or what :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:19:10 AM by rizla »

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »

Here is a pic of the improvment(I have left the CPU stats in ect so you can see what sort of gear  you would need ect...)

Interesting. Does it run with full functionality under VMWare?

Edit - the reason its interesting is that O2 have just launched their business broadband products and I am aware of a company who use O2 for the corporate mobiles and also have a pressing need* for both hotspot and videocon connections which run at a sensible speed (ie not BT). Oh yes they are also situated less than 300m (line length I think) from an exchange which has both Be/O2 and UKOnline present. I was thinking of O2 & UKO on two lines for the hotspot and a third line with O2 for dedicated videocons/time critical stuff. That ought to give them around 35/3.5Mbps on the hotspot and 18/2.5Mbps on the videocon. I'd leave them all interleaved as stability is vital.

*they're not aware of this pressing need yet, but they will be ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:36:42 AM by rizla »

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »

It runs with full functionality in a VM but they say don't do it like that in a production environment.

Here is a link to lots of the tutorials including the VM one(it gives you an idea of what it looks like as well because they are vids): http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Tutorials

They could probably make good use of the captive portal as well.

I have finally come to the conclusion that it is the Be Box that is causing the problem. Which ever line a plug into 1 of the box's looses about 1500kbps in sync  :no:. So i am just going to ebay 2 DG834GTs and use them. They can probably stay upright as well  :lol:.

-----------------
@singhwon

If I am honest I would just leave 1 line plugged into the 360 all the time as load balancing does not effect games consoles(they only allow 1 IP address per session). What you could do is DMT WAN1 connection so it is rock stable(ie raise your SNR) then setup load balancing and make a rule saying:
Code: [Select]
if LAN_IP == whateveryour360ipis then use WAN1
if LAN_IP != whateveryour360ipis then deny new sessions to WAN1
else LoadBalance

There's a GUI don't worry I am just trying to explain it.

What this would do is always send 360 traffic down WAN1 but all other traffic would get shared between the two connections. So when you are on your 360 it would get all of wan1 to itself but when it was not in use everything would use both lines so you would not be wasting a connection.

It depends on whether you think its worth the effort really. I just did it because I did not have much to do and it was something new to learn.

James
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 03:45:39 AM by jabns »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything