Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT long distance fibre optic routes  (Read 2059 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BT long distance fibre optic routes
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

I have a question about BT’s long distance fibre-optic network. Starting from the Broadford exchange, I'm assuming that the network goes next to Kyle of Lochalsh where there’s another exchange (possibly more important one?). (I think it's possibly a significant node, as I know that a link comes down to Kyle from the North, under Loch Carrann, because some moronic criminal tried to steal the cable thinking it was copper and just merely managed to damage it.)

So, my question: Assuming that the next link towards civilisation is heading either up to Inverness or down to Fort William, can a fibre optic link span the distance, some ~75 miles or so, without repeaters?

I don't know how old the fibre optic link might be, modern kit may be much improved, as I believe that performance is improving fast although I don't know about distance reach. You would presumably need to locate the repeater somewhere where there is power? (Unless you're transmitting power along a very long conductor alongside? I have no idea.) What's the truth?

Do long distance fibre links tend to follow the road in some such situations? In the Highlands you can of course often find far shorter near-straight line routes that are free from obstacles.

I've found it very difficult to find out anything about this kind of stuff. Even leaving aside particular cases, it's confusing trying to google info relating to the geographical locations of fibre comms links. Not too surprising when you think about it perhaps, but bits and bobs do come out occasionally.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: BT long distance fibre optic routes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:24:22 PM »

After racking my brain only thing I could remember is this old article. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/04/bt-builds-longest-continuous-stretch-fibre-optic-cable-uk.html

The comments have some good information.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »

Well done for finding that, many thanks. So that’s a resounding ‘no’ to answer my question. (Actually I read that article and then forgot it.) So there will have to be one or two intermediate devices of some sort. In some pocket of civilisation?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »

And that means that trying to shorten the distance by straight-lining it is out.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »

You can get 120km from an exchange to exchange link according to ignition, but I'd imagine BT has more bespoke solutions if it calls for it after all some of the subsea cables are 1000s of miles long.