Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Effect on MSR if computer not used in the first 10 days?  (Read 4859 times)

man_beach

• Just arrived
Effect on MSR if computer not used in the first 10 days?
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »

When my broadband connection was 'DSLmaxed' I was abroad on holiday. On the advice of my ISP supplier I left my router switched on while I was away, but I naturally couldn't use my computer. I know that they 'monitor your connection for 10 days to get your MSR (Maximum Stable Rate)'.

Could the fact that I wasn't using it have any effect on determining the Maximum Stable Rate or my BRAS profile?

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

Re: Effect on MSR if computer not used in the first 10 days?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »

If, the router was on, then infact you are using it ;)

info is still being passed between the internet and your router, albeit very very small pieces of info.

There is no problem, even if you havent used it, your msr will still be set properly (you hope), using the internet should have no effect on it, as its your router which is the connection to the internet and not your pc, so aslong as your router was on, then you shouldnt have any problems.

go here and do the test, and if you finally manage to get a result, post it back here, so we can have a look and see if there is anything to worry about.

http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »

As ES has said... it shouldnt make any difference.

The Dynamic Line Management system at the exchange monitors your line connection and if you have been able to keep connected with the exchange.  The actual passing of data isnt too important.
Every night a heartbeat pulse goes out to check the line is ok.

There is perhaps one instance when it would be good if you were around, and that was if you synced at a lower speed than you thought you should, then giving the router a quick resync may give you higher speeds.
But even that isnt too important..  because the DLM constantly monitors your sync speed anyhow.. and even if you werent around at the time.. it would still increase your profile after 3 days anyhow.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

man_beach

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I did wonder about this '10 day monitoring period', but wasn't able to find anything definite about what it actually monitored.

anything