Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Pick up a spade" - Tom Mockridge  (Read 4652 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
"Pick up a spade" - Tom Mockridge
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »

Love the tweet from BT, agreeing with Tom
https://twitter.com/BTGroup/status/770893717209288704

The tweet itself has a link to an FT article, which appears to bypass the paywall
Tom Mockridge, chief executive of Virgin Media, which is investing £3bn to expand its cable and fibre network to reach 17m homes, has called on BT’s rivals to stop carping and to invest in fibre themselves. “Some have said we need to ‘fix’ Britain’s internet. I would urge them to pick up a spade,” says Mr Mockridge.

There might be the odd fact wrong, but the article isn't a bad summary of the differing positions.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: "Pick up a spade" - Tom Mockridge
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »

Link to article - Openreach and critics locked in debate over faster broadband

The replies to the tweet make some interesting reading too.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »

paywall, I'm afraid

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »

Hmmm I got the paywall at first too.
Try this one  https://t.co/x0QadHiWPN  -  Nope as soon as you try linking from anywhere else it sends you to via the paywall.

Go direct to the tweet and click on the link there.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »

I tried playing with the other links to get past the paywall. In the end, the tweet was all I could get to work; That FT website has some clever stuff protecting it.

The replies are good ... with consistent answers too, especially over reaching more people. I'm really looking forward to seeing where things go with the coming battle of LLU vs LR-VDSL.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »

To read FT articles without the paywall you need to do the following - put the full title into Google search, this should pull up the article(on the FT site) in the results, click the search result for the article on the FT site - this will present you with the article sans paywall(they may make you answer a short survey to view). For anyone that doesn't work for(no reason why it shouldn't really), here is the article-

http://imgur.com/a/4iotM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »

sadly FT it seems have got a bit more aggressive, they used to allow a few views per month free to everyone, then free registered users would get about 10 views, seems now both those options have gone. :(

Ok a fix for ublock origin users.

Disable first party scripts on ft.com
Allow inline scripts in no-op mode on ft.com

Then the free registration access works again, if you have no account it will offer to allow you to make one for free.

To do the above you need to be running ublock origin in advanced mode, also make sure you allow cookies.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:24:08 PM by Chrysalis »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »

I agree with Tom, though his comment regarding a spade may well be best aimed at his own work force who don't like burying cables....

I too am sick of hearing about Sky, TalkTalk and all the rest of them complaining about BT not doing this or BT not doing that.... personally I think they're lucky that BT allowed them to use the newer generation networks that they installed.... if it wasn't for this country having so many regulations around sharing the infrastructure I would of recommended BT lock down next gen services to their own products instead of letting other providers continue to benefit from their network and investment.

Openreach have now opened up their ducts for 3rd parties to feed fibres, yet complaining still continues... do I think Openreach needs to be nationalized... Yes... If it is to be run as a shared network but ISP's are only in favor of this because it would be kicking BT in the plums... they would still have to invest the same amount of money to push the technology further.

Also... I would like to know how we can compare our service to that of those abroad.... Broadband oversea's costs a lot more than it does in the UK (AFAIA) and infrastructure is private and locked down... a tweeter moaning about his friend using Movistar in Spain and getting a 300mb service might want to ask his friend how much that costs him and if he could keep that speed if he moved to another provider (if he can).... I corrected his comments regarding BT though.... he claimed BT only did up to 76mb.... I have a friend that has 300mb...  :cool:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »

I have to differ, but only in parts, with mlmclaren  :no:  :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »

Pretty sure it would be illegal for a nationalised openreach to roll out FTTP as it would classify as state aid.

That and VM would go absolutely mental.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »

@S.Stephenson I can but live in hope.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »

Ducts.

I may be wrong but a major cost of extending fibre reach is the digging up and ducting? if so, there is no reason why the Govt could not invites tenders from ducters to install extra ducting.

Said ducting is then leased to all who wish to use it - BT VM Sky TT and so on.

Financing the ducting would be a good long term investment for Pension Funds and so on.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »

That's where the biggest chunk of the cash would be taken ...... the civils. It's ok for folk to just say 'Just install FTTP', with no clue as to the enormity of that statement.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »

Very true, most of the cost is in the civils.

So about all the fully ducted areas with swept tees that had FTTC deployed.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

I agree about other companies moaning all the time, particularly Sky who are the main big ISP still using BT/OR network that are capable of delivering their own network. If smaller companies like CityFibre and Hyperoptic can do it then Sky could do it as well, on a bigger scale.

I do think there is a case for at least a centralised body to just operate the network. This problem seems to be the same one with the railways too when British rail was privatised.. who owns the network has a built in advantage. It's very difficult moving that 'advantage' around without it ending up even more unfair or holding up investment.

I understand that its expensive to put in fibre. But I've never understood who is setting the price. Who are BT/OR paying for it to be so expensive? If its for materials then why can't they either cut a deal with the maker of the materials, or bring them in-house (which would have been a good option to have had as far as cabinets with the ECI ones lagging behind)?

BT/OR, Sky and others seem like a group of old men muttering about price and "do you really need the speed son? can't you get by with 2Mb?". It seems to be a stagnent debate all the time with the same companies trying to one up each other, while at the same time not doing too much.

It always seems to be someone else holding things up. But yet nothing is ever done by them to get around the problem.

Sorry for the rant but progress seems to be crawling along at a snails pace.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: [1] 2

anything