Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What is Dark Fibre, and why we'll be hearing a lot about it ?  (Read 852 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
What is Dark Fibre, and why we'll be hearing a lot about it ?
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »

Dark Fibre is when we just provide the connecting fibre between two points – allowing CPs to decide which electronics, speeds and technical features they want to enable when designing their networks. Ofcom has requested we develop this new product as they believe this will encourage CPs to invest in providing higher bandwidth services in more areas.

Ofcom has also set the price of a new Dark Fibre circuit so it’s competitive against our current Ethernet products. And while this might mean that CPs take some of our current Ethernet market share, it might also provide an opportunity for new business in the higher bandwidth services market.

Ofcom have set out a timetable leading to a full launch in Oct 2017. The first step will be our draft reference offer which will be published later this week - where we’ll set out the initial product specification and commercial terms of our new Dark Fibre product.

We’re working hard to create a product that’ll transform the high-bandwidth marketplace and bring broader coverage and faster speeds to more of our customers.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: What is Dark Fibre, and why we'll be hearing a lot about it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »

I could do with a five mile length of that. Then all I need is a digger, someone to light it up for me, an NT, some backhaul / interconnectivity, damn -  the shopping list is getting longer and longer. Probably just best to bribe someone very high up at BT by selling them my body. Is Sharon White spoken for? Actually, no, I don't thing Mrs. Weaver is going to go for this plan.

anything