Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where to go next with ? RF interference problem  (Read 6139 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Where to go next with ? RF interference problem
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 01:58:28 PM »

heh :)

I wonder how many visits it would take tho to get all those requirements filled? 30?

Cliff_G

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »

They do not offer a regular phone service, but you can port your number to their VoIP system. This will require an IP enabled phone, base station or telephone adapter. I use this service and it works very well, the calls are much cheaper too.

Well, that knocks that on the head then.  We currently use a Vodafone SureSignal for our mobile coverage (which is essentally a kind of VOIP although no doubt a different protocol), but if anything is using the broadband at the time, the conversation just dies. So I would expect that even if VOIP is better in terms of bandwidth usage, it would still be pretty pants.  And of course no emergency phone as we have no mobile signal, and get lots of power cuts.  The joys of rural life  :(

Cliff_G

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »

Is there anything you can do ?? If you read here .... http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm ..... you'll come across a section that mentions using a MW radio at 612Khz, that may aid in your search.

Ah. I had scoured the Kitz site but missed that bit, not sure how. Thanks.  Will go and see if I can find an AM radio..!

So, maybe you have two issues that are ongoing ??

Probably!  As you say, REIN does not differentiate between wet and dry and the identical traces day to day are no way due to water (unless we have a clever sort of water here in Scotland), but the interference fuzz when it rains is also clearly not REIN, unless the damp makes the pair even more unbalanced and it picks up much more of "something"

Cliff_G

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »

Re REIN detection, there's mention of a 444B tester on that Kitz page

Searching for 444B I found this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJ5RYi6F_E

and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW0ZXh5pIoA

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »

As a long-standing REIN engineer myself, I will absolutely confirm that all ISP's will act when they suspect REIN is at play. The onus is on them ...

That last bit is where I found Plusnet were letting me down.  Quick enough to wash their hands of a noisy line fault on the basis of a REIN diagnosis from remote testing, but never getting to the stage of actually carrying out a REIN investigation. Their preferred solution, suggested more than once, was to change my line to a 1meg fixed rate.  It may be that they were not willing to go through the preparatory steps that you set out.  I suspect the fault would be outstanding still if it hadn't been for the OR guy who although not an underground engineer was nevertheless prepared to open up a couple of joints and narrow down where the fault lay, which was a line fault and nothing to do with REIN all along.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »

> kind of VOIP although no doubt a different protocol), but if anything is using the broadband at the time, the conversation just dies. So I would expect that even if VOIP is better in terms of bandwidth usage, it would still be pretty pants.

Good point.

Whether or not the AA VoIP works, I can't really say, as I've been too unwell to really test it. However VoIP can in theory be made to work even on a heavily loaded line if the VoIP packets are prioritised by the ISP in the inbound case and by your own network and router in the outbound case. Some of our kitizens who are AA users also use AA’s VoIP, possibly on slow lines, so they may be able to comment. You can also ask AA users and staff on IRC ( web IRC service also available, see http://aa.net.uk/kb-irc.html ).

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »

You could test VoIP by signing up with one of the free providers (Sipgate or Localphone) for example, even without adding credit you can make calls to 0800 numbers, or inbound calls to Sipgate.  Without suitable SIP hardware you could test with something like Xlite which is a free SIP soft phone.
Pages: 1 [2]