Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it worth getting an engineer out to do a DLM Reset?  (Read 6659 times)

gazaai

• Reg Member
Is it worth getting an engineer out to do a DLM Reset?
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:54:55 AM »

Hi guys,
I recently just got G.INP enabled on my line again after changing to plusnet. But I am wondering if it might be worth while getting an engineer out to reset the DLM as I am still banded to 60000.
And judging by my SNR and attainable rate it may be worth while.

After reading horror stories about Banding it seems it won't get removed even people have had it over a year, what do you think?

MyDSLWebStats Username: GaZaai

xDSL
Mode   VDSL2
Traffic Type   PTM
Status   Up
Link Power State   L0
Downstream   Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis)   On   On
SNR Margin (dB)   11.1   7.4
Attenuation (dB)   17.4   0.0
Output Power (dBm)   12.7   7.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps)   78821   23006
Rate (Kbps)   60000   19999
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame)   178   237
M (# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword)   1   1
T (# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame)   0   42
R (# of redundancy bytes in the RS codeword)   10   16
S (# of data symbols over which the RS code word spans)   0.0950   0.3781
L (# of bits transmitted in each data symbol)   15922   5374
D (interleaver depth)   16   1
I (interleaver block size in bytes)   189   127
N (RS codeword size)   189   254
Delay (msec)   0   0
INP (DMT symbol)   48.00   0.00
OH Frames   0   0
OH Frame Errors   0   274
RS Words   410809744   1841287
RS Correctable Errors   24101   1181
RS Uncorrectable Errors   0   0
HEC Errors   0   0
OCD Errors   0   0
LCD Errors   0   0
Total Cells   3277272786   0
Data Cells   610793225   0
Bit Errors   0   0
Total ES   0   239
Total SES   0   0
Total UAS   22   22
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Is it worth getting an engineer out to do a DLM Reset?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:16:04 AM »

What caused the line to get banded in the 1st place?
You would get roughly another 25% download speed if you weren't banded, not an insignificant amount! I could live with a small amount of banding close to my normal sync but that's a bit aggressive. I would certainly be trying to talk Plusnet into arranging an engineer visit. It may come with the threat of a charge if no fault is found nonsense.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:24:10 AM »

Really bad luck:

Issue #1- There was a power outage across the village and my line was the first to connect at 79999. 15 minutes later my line is at 0.9 SNR with crazy amount of ES there was no G.INP at this time.
Interleaving was applied for 2 days the back to normal.

Two weeks later

Issue #2- Someone had disconnected a wire from my line at the cabinet so my line was running with 1 wire for about 3 days until an engineer fixed it (didn't visit my home).

And here I am now banded at 60000 for over a month now maybe two.

Just really bad luck to be honest.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »

looks like you have had more then one level of banding applied also, as there is a 74mbit banding and I think think at least one more level of banding between that and your current 60mbit.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »

I had an engineer last week to perform a DLM reset due to banding and he was "annoyed" as apparently the ISP can phone a number to get this done without a visit.

He did a full diagnostic of my line both voice and data and although I did not agree with everything he said he did a thorough job and ended up with a jump in speed of 30%.

I do think however he only did the reset after a bit of persuasion and quoting a few stats that did not make sense.

I wonder if ISPs can perform a DLM reset?

Edit: I had very similar stats to you before the reset.  After the reset got full speed back.  Not sure if I will keep it as I am ECI cab therefore no Ginp but I do have a bit of margin left to play with even after the reset.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:16:06 PM by ktz392837 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »

Engineers are often complaining about being sent out to perform DLM resets, stating that the ISP can do it. The general consensus is that they are simply getting mixed up with ADSL. There's absolutely 100% no way an ISP can perform, order, phone up for, or in any way request a DLM reset on FTTC. It can only be done by an OpenReach engineer, either on their smartphone or by calling up for it. I'd be politely correcting any such statement by an engineer.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »

Engineers are often complaining about being sent out to perform DLM resets, stating that the ISP can do it. The general consensus is that they are simply getting mixed up with ADSL. There's absolutely 100% no way an ISP can perform, order, phone up for, or in any way request a DLM reset on FTTC. It can only be done by an OpenReach engineer, either on their smartphone or by calling up for it. I'd be politely correcting any such statement by an engineer.

j0hn is correct ........ apart from one thing ........... no engineer will complain about picking up a task that simply requires a DLM reset. They would be the polar opposite.  ;) ;D ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

j0hn is correct ........ apart from one thing ........... no engineer will complain about picking up a task that simply requires a DLM reset. They would be the polar opposite.  ;) ;D ;D
well that would be my thinking! I was just responding to
I had an engineer last week to perform a DLM reset due to banding and he was "annoyed" as apparently the ISP can phone a number to get this done without a visit.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »

Ok thanks guys, I am now trying to get an engineer booked, so most engineers would be more than happy to perform a DLM reset if seeing there is no fault present on the line?

Also I am guessing he will just plug in the tool and do the basic checks, then reset it?

Thanks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Ok thanks guys, I am now trying to get an engineer booked, so most engineers would be more than happy to perform a DLM reset if seeing there is no fault present on the line?

Also I am guessing he will just plug in the tool and do the basic checks, then reset it?

Thanks

It is mandatory to perform a PQT, DSL Close-out and Eclipse/Fast Test ............ once these are done (and hopefully pass), it wouldn't do any harm to mention yourself about performing a DLM reset to remove the banding.
There is no way of me knowing if the ISP will put the instruction on the task, to carry out a DLM reset ??

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 04:39:23 PM »

It is mandatory to perform a PQT, DSL Close-out and Eclipse/Fast Test ............ once these are done (and hopefully pass), it wouldn't do any harm to mention yourself about performing a DLM reset to remove the banding.
There is no way of me knowing if the ISP will put the instruction on the task, to carry out a DLM reset ??
Ok they have mentioned that they are performing further tests and will get back to me within 24 hours. They said there GEA Test is very basic and so they need more information about my line first before booking the engineer. So maybe the will give the engineer instructions to do the DLM Reset without entering my home?

Also what do these tests detect? just noise for example and crosstalk checks?

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »

Engineer has just left, not sure what has happened to my line. I was under the impression that with a DLM Reset the line returns to fast path?

My line has had g.inp disabled but I have interleaving. My 60000 banding seems to be gone tho.

He tested the line said the speeds could go up a bit. Said he would phone "them" in his van to get it reset and came back 15 mins later saying that there were not able to do it as "the line doesn't look like it has anything wrong with it" now I'm no expert but an 11.1 SNR @ 60000
Shows there is something wrong.

He came back in saying the line is still at 60mb I told him I just got an email showing him that the line is not at 60mb it's at 65600 now. He then wanted to the see the line history. I opened up dsl web stats and showed him the previous sync speeds. He seemed angry at the guys he spoke to on the phone and pretty much left.

Is this just my luck of engineers lol

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »

To me that looks like a DLM reset has occurred SNRm with 6.1 dB with interleaving is there not overheads and once fastpath returns the sync rate will go up by 5-6 Mbps so that should take your sync rate upto 71Mbps banding gone  :)

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 05:55:26 PM »

To me that looks like a DLM reset has occurred SNRm with 6.1 dB with interleaving is there not overheads and once fastpath returns the sync rate will go up by 5-6 Mbps so that should take your sync rate upto 71Mbps banding gone  :)
Ok that does sound like good news then. I just thought it was strange that it returned to Interleaving and not Fast path. You would think being a reset it would take it as a clean slate.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:59:00 PM by gazaai »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »

I think it defaults to interleaving now, happened around the time of the ECI G.INP debarcle if memory serves.
Pages: [1] 2

anything