Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More Win 10 Anniversary borks  (Read 8232 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
More Win 10 Anniversary borks
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »

I assume some of you won't have seen these.

Kindle Paperwhites turn Windows 10 PCs into paperweights: Plugging one in 'triggers a BSOD'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/25/windows_10_kindle_paperwhites/

Windows Update borks PowerShell – Microsoft won't fix it for a week
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/25/microsoft_breaks_powershell_with_borked_update_wont_fix_it_for_a_week/

Also there's an MS utility to temporarily block the Anniversary update but read the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

I've now used disk images to reinstate Win 8.1 on four machines along with custom HOSTS and other anti-snoop measures. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:13:03 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: More Win 10 Anniversary borks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »

Yeah, I really dont understand why people cling to windows 10 when they having issues, I am talking about the people who have personally suffered from breakage. You are the only person I know tony who has seen sense.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »

Have to say Windows 10 is working like a dream now after a full destructive install over previous OS (Vista) HD even using the 64Bit version, it's definitely much better to install Windows 10 as a fresh install rather than the upgrade method.

Still awaiting Anniversary updates how do you know if you have one ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:48:52 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »

I've updated loads of computers to Windows 10, and there is only one that is playing up - it keeps waking from sleep. To be fair I transplanted the SSD from a 10 year old system to an Intel NUC (retail OS) and then upgraded to W10. So it could well be some remnants leftover from the old drivers causing problems. When I get chance I'm going to do a fresh install of W10 on it.

PS. If you want to get the anniversary update I think you can do it from here - it gives me the option to update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:24:54 PM »

PS. If you want to get the anniversary update I think you can do it from here - it gives me the option to update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It's odd not seeing the Windows Update icon in the control panel it's been their since XP and then disappeared with Windows 10 so don't have much control what updates I want & don't

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:38:11 PM »

> it's definitely much better to install Windows 10 as a fresh install rather than the upgrade method.

Couldn't agree more. I just can't see how upgrade installations of WinNT can ever work properly in general, not unless the upgrade is a trivial one. I have always refused to do them.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »

correct but you forced to on win10 as the new builds are "upgrade installations"

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »

I fully understand why standard users don't want to go down the full destructive install path on WIN10 as it requires backing up data pics music documents and so on and then installing all those programs games and drivers again it can take many days to get the Desktop or Laptop back to where it was.

The upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 was a breeze with zero issues with programs hardware and drivers but Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was the opposite with driver issues and program issues it was just to hard to fix and done what Tony did used a disk image back to Win8.1

A fresh Install has solved all those problems with drivers and programs and even think Win10 is just a tad bit better than Win8.1 can dual boot into both it does help a lot during a OS rebuild.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

Just doing a fresh install on my daughters PC, no need to backup files, as all her documents are stored on the server, so it will just be a case of redirecting the appropriate folders. Still have to install the drivers and software though, but luckily there's isn't much she uses.

From booting from the USB stick to the 'Lets get connected' screen took about 9 minutes, hopefully this will solve the sleep problem it was having.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »

Funny the old XP desktop would never go into sleep or hibernation mode even when the parameters on the power option told it to do so and checked all the power options on devices to make sure they powered off.

With Windows 10 installed it goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes of no activity like it should have done  :)

stuarttunstall

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »

I must say I really like Windows 10, but have had two different experiences ..

I purchase a NEW HP notebook a couple of weeks ago "pre-installed" with Windows 10, and it is fantastic.. I love it including Windows 10 :) when it arrived it had v1511 installed but did the update to v1607 "Anniversary" update... the update went smooth, took about an hour, and so far after 3 days it is absolutely perfect...

My 5 year old HP notebook was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade, again went very smooth and on the whole worked great apart from one issue....

If I put the notebook in sleep mode and then opened the lid to wake it I got a black screen and had to press the power button to get it working.. I tried all the fixes and not cured it... So I have restored it to Windows 7..

What I may do is do a clean install of Windows 10 and see what happens..

What I have noticed is that most people with issues with Windows 10 have UPGRADED from another Windows version.. I suspect that Microsoft are saying machines are compatible when some are not 100% happy...

I have found very few issues reported on new, out of the box machines..

As I say I am 100% happy so far with this new notebook... :)

Stuart

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »

I'm happy with 10 on machines that were previously running 7 - but I did do clean installs!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

stuarttunstall

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »

Think that is what I am going to do with my old HP Envy, try Windows 10 from a clean install... :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »

Can't find any fault with Windows 10 after a clean install other than this OS seems to consume  more internal Ram than Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 Ram usage 0.8GB
Windows 10  Ram usage 1.3GB now Windows 8.1 is 32bit and Windows 10 is 64 bit so this could be the reason why it uses more internal ram.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Pages: [1] 2

anything