Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FTTC UK Modem advice  (Read 13322 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC UK Modem advice
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »

I can't see why not but I have never tried it.

I'll give it a go :)

EDIT: Just realised I'll need to plan this a bit more as I have mine setup with different IP addressing to suit my environment. I'll need to pull it offline at some point but can't at the moment as I'll get lynched for taking the internet down :0
Unless anyone can see what's wrong with my python environment in the meantime.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:20:57 PM by cliver »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »

You need to install the pycrypto python package which provides the Crypto module, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that on Windows. You could try following the instructions to install it from the source code, but I'm not sure if that will work as some modules require a C compiler to build them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »

And you'd then for example need for example the superb GCC, plus a makefile, plus a bit of help if you're new to compilers and builds.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »

Or try a project that re-packages python and includes lots of extras - see https://www.python.org/download/alternatives/

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »

There are prebuilt windows binaries here http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »

All of which were built for different versions of python than what cliver has installed, so will not be compatible.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

Looks like pycrypto has been abandonded and replaced by pycryptodome

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »

Thanks guys got pycrypto installed using
Code: [Select]
pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://github.com/sfbahr/PyCrypto-Wheels/raw/master/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp35-none-win32.whl pycryptoDecryted .conf file and set telnet to 1, re-encrypted the file and uploaded it.
Modem working and I can telnet into it.
Many, many thanks guys.
Now to have a play with the stats :-)
Regards
Clive

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »

3. Would it be worth getting a HG612 3B to try?

That might be your best option. I've also tried the Zyxel VMG8924 & also the TP link N300 both in bridge mode so that I could make use of the newer Broadcom VDSL2 chipset (being on a Huawei cab) and whilst they synced a meg or two higher than my HG612, however the pings went up and line errors increased signficantly so went back to my tried & trusted HG612. The HG612 might be getting old now, but IMHO its the best option for those on Huawei cabs looking for speed & stability. Sometimes old is best!!

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »

That might be your best option. I've also tried the Zyxel VMG8924 & also the TP link N300 both in bridge mode so that I could make use of the newer Broadcom VDSL2 chipset (being on a Huawei cab) and whilst they synced a meg or two higher than my HG612, however the pings went up and line errors increased signficantly so went back to my tried & trusted HG612. The HG612 might be getting old now, but IMHO its the best option for those on Huawei cabs looking for speed & stability. Sometimes old is best!!
I can vouch for old is best myself psychopomp1 ;).
Think I may invest in one and try it. Seems to be a matter of trying these things out anyway, as what works best on one line may not be the same on another.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »

Just came across this thread.

I am using the HG635 in bridged mode with an Asus router

@cliver

So the HG635 can be used in bridge mode on VDSL, the talk-talk forums always said that was not possible; can you post a couple of screenshots of your settings please.

I am currently using a HG635 in bridge mode on an ADSL MAX connection, with  FTTC planned (eventually) in the next 12/18 months

Thanks  Ian

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »

Seems quite simple
1. Set the PTM connection mode to BRIDGED

2. Disable TR069

3. Disable DHCP in the LAN

4. (Optional) Disable Wireless

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/t5/Superpowered-Fibre-Broadband/Super-Router-HG635-Configure-for-Your-Own-Router-Please-Try/td-p/1531435

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »

Just came across this thread.

@cliver

So the HG635 can be used in bridge mode on VDSL, the talk-talk forums always said that was not possible; can you post a couple of screenshots of your settings please.

I am currently using a HG635 in bridge mode on an ADSL MAX connection, with  FTTC planned (eventually) in the next 12/18 months

Thanks  Ian

I was on ADSL Max before and the settings are much the same. See attached. You will need a LAN ip address but everything else is off NAT, DHCP etc. You shouldn't have any trouble but if you do just post here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]