Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can any program just dump stats to CSV?  (Read 2579 times)

AngryMonkey

Can any program just dump stats to CSV?
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »

Hi,
I'm using DSLStats and HG612 stats with MDWS which is great, but what I really want to do is just have all the data in a CSV/XML so I can analyse it myself in excel etc.

I know DSLStats can save some data to XML in snapshots, but what i'd really like is for a programme to dump all data to a CSV every time it samples (every 30 seconds etc).

Can any of the monitoring programs here do that?

The modems I have available are Zyxel 8324, Billion 8800 and HG612.

Thanks,
AM.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:33:30 AM by AngryMonkey »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Can any program just dump stats to CSV?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »

When you say "all data", exactly what do you mean? There's an enormous amount of it. Both programs parse the output of various telnet commands and extract separate items of data. A lot of these are uploaded to MDWS in delta form, i.e. the difference between the previous set of data and the present set, and the data is uploaded in CSV form (compressed in all cases except the main stats). So what do you actually want?
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

I can't really see the point of doing this - The DSL stats apps and Mydslwebstats provide a complete solution for stats monitoring and the ability to ask others for help as the stats are presented in a standard way with history being available.

Ok, if it's for personal use but it's not like you can change anything anyway so there is limited added value you can achieve.

I suppose a good start would be to define a schema of what data you want and see if it's made available already by the existing stats programs.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

Doesn't "HG612 modem stats" put lots of the data into a logfile?

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »

HG612 Stats does just that, you'll find the data in the Modem_Stats.Log file normally located in the ongoing stats folder. There is 245 items of data per row, I've attached an spreadsheet so you know what each column of data is.

It only logs the data every 60 seconds though.

Attachment removed because of its inaccuracy - Roseway

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:26:13 AM »

Now I know I'm tired, but I'm sure I didn't post the wrong file, I'm sure there is nothing confidential in there, and the way I've read the OP's post it is entirely relevant and accurate. It is in fact the spreadsheet I reference when updating the GUI. I'm also certain that Paul would have no problems with me posting it, I have done so in the past.

Hi,
I'm using DSLStats and HG612 stats with MDWS which is great, but what I really want to do is just have all the data in a CSV/XML so I can analyse it myself in excel etc.

I know DSLStats can save some data to XML in snapshots, but what i'd really like is for a programme to dump all data to a CSV every time it samples (every 30 seconds etc).

Can any of the monitoring programs here do that?

The modems I have available are Zyxel 8324, Billion 8800 and HG612.

Thanks,
AM.

So what's the problem????

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »

So what's the problem????

I suspect that there has been some misunderstanding.  :-\

Paul's (Bald_Eagle1) utility, I'll use the name HG612_stats (as I can't remember exactly how it is now named), will create an entry in a logfile, once every minute, of all the data that it harvests. The logfile is pure ASCII text, each record is delimited from the next by a <Ctrl-M><Ctrl-J> pair of characters and each field of a record is delimited by a <Space> character. (I am able to make those statements with certainty, for I wrote the original proof of concept code and the initial usable code before handing it all over to Paul, to create and manage for BGW systems.)

If AngryMonkey would like to check the location and contents of that logfile, it should be import-able into any reasonable spread-sheet. After the import, there is no reason why it could not then be re-saved as CSV records!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AngryMonkey

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »

HG612 Stats does just that, you'll find the data in the Modem_Stats.Log file normally located in the ongoing stats folder. There is 245 items of data per row, I've attached an spreadsheet so you know what each column of data is.

It only logs the data every 60 seconds though.

Attachment removed because of its inaccuracy - Roseway

Hi Ronski,
That's perfect, exactly what I was after, thanks. I've imported into excel and can now draw graphs in pink and purple to my OCD heart's content.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »

Good, glad to be of help  :)