Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NBN and the missing superfast customers  (Read 3456 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: NBN and the missing superfast customers
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »

I read the paper your attachment is from, however it does show the downsides of assumptions. As far as we're aware between now and 2020 at least exactly zero of the G.fast 'investment' will be reusable for anything else. I guess that scenario assumed BT would put fibre deeper into the network. Perhaps naive to think BT would spend more than they absolutely had to initially to keep the politicians off their back.

Be interesting to see what impact this has on the maths. Obviously it dramatically reduces the cost of the deployment, however it will also shorten its lifespan or necessitate further upgrades.

This is assuming that said further upgrades would be done on a commercial basis, which given the coverage BT can get, albeit at barely higher than FTTC rates for some, it may not be.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: NBN and the missing superfast customers
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »

That's true .. it pre-dates the decision to re-target G.Fast to have longer-range capabilities, and BT's aims to use that instead.

You'd imagine that a pod-only solution (under the assumption that is all BT do) will require less investment than a deeper-fibre solution too. The future of the deployment - beyond 2020 - is much more opaque.

On the other hand, I imagine that the assumptions didn't consider the idea of copper backhauling either, which appears to be relatively new (and quite possibly unusable).
Pages: 1 [2]