Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Configuring Billion BiPAC 8800NL as a router only  (Read 5272 times)

Sajuuk

• Just arrived
Re: Configuring Billion BiPAC 8800NL as a router only
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:35 PM »

But I don't think there's anything particularly special about the HG612's VDSL2 performance itself. I think some people have found they get slightly better performance than the HG612 from the newer Broadcom VDSL2 chipsets in some of the Billion or Zyxel devices.
It does sync a bit lower in speed but if it keeps a line away from interleaving that can more than offset the slightly lower sync.
Sync speed won't be an issue, I will be within metres of the cabinet so will get maximum sync speeds (unlikely there will be many customers on that service, because most people in my area don't tend to care for fast broadband, most would be fine with an 17mbps ADSL2+ service and not bother with fibre lol).

The main reason is to prevent any possible interleaving or banded profiles from being applied by DLM, because I prefer a fastpath connection than interleaving, particular because I need low ping.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:16:12 PM by Sajuuk »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:47 PM »

Being a recent user of an 8800NL and also used the HG612 for most of my 3 year VDSL line the 8800NL as a modem is way better than the HG612 by 4.5Mbps.

I would not use the HG612 as a Modem and then use the 8800NL as router the BCM 63168 in the 8800NL is far superior than the BCM 6368 inside the HG612.

I would use the 8800NL as the Modem and then use a router that has 2.4/5.0 GHz wireless as for Gigabit Ethernet unless you have 10 devices connected to a home server then it just overkill most old devices won't go above 100Mbps one Gigabit port is more than enough for most users

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:13 PM »

I have a Billion router that I use with the BT-supplied FTTC modem, wired Ethernet joining the two.

advantages of that configuration include...

1) The FTTC modem is in it's optimum location beside the master socket which, usually and for me, is on an outside wall.

2) The Wifi AP is in optimum location, centrally in the building and at raised elevation.

These advantages do not affect sync speed or error rates. I would expect there to be bo difference whatsoever vs a combined modem/router located by the master socket.

I don't remember exactly what was involved in getting my billion 7800 DXL (iirc) to work with FTTC.   I do remember I was entirely confident that having researched the issue, and set it all up it in advance, it would 'just work' on the big day when I switched from adsl.  In fact, it didn't 'just work' .  But overcoming my embarrassment, a restart and allowing the wizard to set it up for me worked perfectly.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:39:54 PM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything