Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can the OR engineer connect me to a different cabinet?  (Read 4233 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Can the OR engineer connect me to a different cabinet?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »

You've more chance of getting an apple from Chrysalis.

How many do you want to order :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 06:38:03 PM »

I do think that more copper rearrangements should be happening for those areas where it would make a huge difference to hundreds of lines. Over 300 lines pass in front of my local cabinet and travel another 400m to the next cabinet. This takes most of those 300 lines out of G.Fast range.

BT did say earlier this year re: VDSL that they plan to install an extra 2,800 street cabinets between 2016 and 2020/21 specifically for "network rearrangement purposes" (i.e. for long copper lines, Exchange Only Lines (EOL) or to improve broadband speeds etc.)

I would be very surprised if this was all BDUK - in fact I suspect a fair part will be in their "commercial" FTTC footprint.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »

How many do you want to order :)

This is damned ridiculous !! I want to purchase 330 million apples of Chrysalis, but I only really need 60 million. But, OfApple tell me I need to go through Ronski to put the order in !!! I'm going to put a complaint in to the chairman of the 'Greengrocers UK' and get something done about this. I demand to have a permanent wheelbarrow full of apples outside my front door 24/7 !!

BTW ..... just looked at my last apple stats, and the PTC (Pips To Core) ratio has fluctuated by 1/2 pip compared to my last apple .......... should I get a greengrocer out to look at this ??

:) :) :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »

. . . demand to have a permanent wheelbarrow full of apples outside my front door 24/7 !!

Then you will have to convince me, for I cannot authorise the use of Walter's Wheelbarrow from which to sell third-party fruit!  :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »

Ha ha ...... sod it ..... I'm opting for leased apples.  ;) ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »

BT did say earlier this year re: VDSL that they plan to install an extra 2,800 street cabinets between 2016 and 2020/21 specifically for "network rearrangement purposes" (i.e. for long copper lines, Exchange Only Lines (EOL) or to improve broadband speeds etc.)

I would be very surprised if this was all BDUK - in fact I suspect a fair part will be in their "commercial" FTTC footprint.
That misses the point I was making. The cabinet is already there. It's a small PCP cabinet that serves a few streets, including half my street. I recall the engineer saying about 350 lines go to this PCP (I may be wrong there). Then over 300 lines pass right by this PCP to the next, much bigger PCP. This larger PCP has around 900 lines. Both have their own accompanying Fibre twin. The Fibre twin for the larger PCP is always at capacity. The smaller PCPs Fibre twin is half empty.

Common sense says upgrade the smaller PCP to make it a larger cabinet, and connect those 300+ lines. It would save needing a 2nd Fibre twin on the larger PCP as a bunch of those moved lines would now be served by the half empty Fibre twin.

This achieves a few things.
Frees capacity on a full DSLAM
Uses capacity on a half empty DSLAM
Possibly saves installing a new DSLAM next to the full 1
Increases speed for the 300+ moved lines and moves them within range of G.Fast (from the pod). I'm not holding my breath on them going deeper into the network here. Not an affluent area, or densely populated.

Plans to install new cabinets ignore these instances. There's situations like this up and down the country. Of course the full fibre cabinet is commercial, and the half empty is BDUK. No surprise there.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »

BS. You can order as many apples as you want, subject to minimum delivery charge. Please note that the quantity of apples you receive will vary on the distance required to deliver them, how wide the roads are, and the quality of the roads. You will not be entitled to any refund due to sub standard, or insufficient number of apples delivered as the roads used are a legacy system and the order will be delivered and accepted as received  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »

Pah ...... sod that. I've been chatting with my mate who's a virgin, and I'm going into oranges instead. They're a far better fruit.  :P

TheKeymeister

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »

That misses the point I was making. The cabinet is already there. It's a small PCP cabinet that serves a few streets, including half my street. I recall the engineer saying about 350 lines go to this PCP (I may be wrong there). Then over 300 lines pass right by this PCP to the next, much bigger PCP. This larger PCP has around 900 lines. Both have their own accompanying Fibre twin. The Fibre twin for the larger PCP is always at capacity. The smaller PCPs Fibre twin is half empty.

Common sense says upgrade the smaller PCP to make it a larger cabinet, and connect those 300+ lines. It would save needing a 2nd Fibre twin on the larger PCP as a bunch of those moved lines would now be served by the half empty Fibre twin.

This achieves a few things.
Frees capacity on a full DSLAM
Uses capacity on a half empty DSLAM
Possibly saves installing a new DSLAM next to the full 1
Increases speed for the 300+ moved lines and moves them within range of G.Fast (from the pod). I'm not holding my breath on them going deeper into the network here. Not an affluent area, or densely populated.

Plans to install new cabinets ignore these instances. There's situations like this up and down the country. Of course the full fibre cabinet is commercial, and the half empty is BDUK. No surprise there.

From that description, I reckon we are neighbours as I'm in the exact same situation!
lol, internet

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 03:16:01 AM »

This is damned ridiculous !! I want to purchase 330 million apples of Chrysalis, but I only really need 60 million. But, OfApple tell me I need to go through Ronski to put the order in !!! I'm going to put a complaint in to the chairman of the 'Greengrocers UK' and get something done about this. I demand to have a permanent wheelbarrow full of apples outside my front door 24/7 !!

BTW ..... just looked at my last apple stats, and the PTC (Pips To Core) ratio has fluctuated by 1/2 pip compared to my last apple .......... should I get a greengrocer out to look at this ??

:) :) :)

You cannot complain to me, ofapple the regulator has decided I am to not not deal with petty customers, talk to the hand instead. :)

Ronski is not liable either as this is out of his control as he is dependent on me as his supplier. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:19:40 AM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »

Ha ha ...... I'm moving to North Korea then .......  ;) :)
Pages: 1 [2]