Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iOS bug: Wi-fi : Loss of IPv4 address when roaming between WAPs with same SSID  (Read 5943 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Dray

• Kitizen

I don't see this problem roaming across multiple HH5's configured as WAPs on my network. Both my iPhone and iPad roam fine.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@Dray - your HH5s are all configured with the same SSID?

Dray

• Kitizen

Yes. It roams successfully even during a call. I think there's something wrong with his network as I can't see why the IP address would change.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

If you also read the earlier posts on his blog on this same subject, he seems pretty convinced, with good reason IMHO, that it's an iOS bug. RevK is a programming and networking god as well, for example, he's written a lot of the code that goes into the Firebrick family of routers, so he really knows his stuff.

There's absolutely no reason why DHCP should be coming into it, and I don't think it even issues a DHCP request iirc. The iOS device simply dumps it's IPv4 address (IPv6 is ok).

Dray

• Kitizen

I've heard AAISP described as "a strange company run in a strange way by a strange man" :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Sounds fair enough.  :D Luckily we all have plenty of choices of ISP.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

UPDATE: bugs on both sides, iOS bugs still, but also behaviour provisionally fixed by a Ubiquiti WAP firmware update: see
    http://www.revk.uk/2016/08/maybe-it-was-unifi-after-all.html

Dray

• Kitizen

hahaha

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

This is good news, although I'm spent up at the moment (August being a very lean time and we've spent far too much on house building works), I've been lusting after some of that Ubiquiti kit. And I know I will be able to get lots of support for it, in my groggy state, which I will need. So I can dare buy some next year.