Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze  (Read 6741 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »

Well there I was about to think about what to do with this main terminal re updates when I spotted this on The Register:

Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze

OS and apps & data on different storage media? Oops

16 Aug 2016 at 07:31, Gavin ClarkeWindows 10 Anniversary Update is crashing on some PCs employing a solid-state drive.

The Anniversary operating system is understood to be freezing PCs where Windows 10 is stored on the SSD, but apps and data are on a separate drive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/16/windows_10_anniversary_update_ssd_freeze/

==

Guess what I do here? And you may end up with a bricked machine it appears. And it's not an Update anyway, it's a complete reinstall of the OS that you have to set up again from scratch. I have only done it one spare machine and it took three separate installs  to get it working  It refused to roll back properly after the first upgrade and then wouldn't boot after the second attempt. Third attempt worked after changing to a mechanical drive from an SSD.

I really am tempted to revert to Windows 8.1 which was fine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:27:28 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »

I have Windows 10 on an nvme m.2 ssd, programs/apps on a separate sata ssd, and a 3rd mechanical hdd for sorting random large files I don't access often. fortunately the lady couple times I've looked at Windows update it's had a message saying update 1607 failed. I'll need to read up on this a bit more.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:55 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the same issue but when I got my current pc with an ssd and hdd I followed a guys advice to changed some file paths in regedit, things like programfilesdir etc to have more room on the ssd. Apparently this could be done on previous versions of windows, and maybe some win10 versions. But on mine it nearly ruined the pc. I had only changed 2 paths in reg edit. I noticed some apps no longer worked, as in win10 couldnt even see them. Win10 couldnt see the app store. Also windows updates kept failing too. Oh and my usb connectors didnt function correctly either.

The problem 'appeared' to me only when I updated to the 1151 windows. Prior to that it worked before the update. So I ended up rolling back to the previous version.

Because at some point I did want to update windows I ended up changing the regedit files back and using the media creation tool to overinstall the new 1151 version on to the computer. All paths got restored and everything is working again.

I found out after you can actually set the drive paths by going to Settings->Storage and setting all those save locations to the drive you want. I have all new apps, documents, music, photos and files and tv programmes will be saved to my drive D. So that did the same job I was trying to do with the regedit.

P.S.

I noticed the guy on that site was using bitlocker to encrypt his hard drive. I'm thinking that is his main problem. I remember using a file encrypter some years ago... bcwipe i think it was called. It had an encryption part and that give me blue screens.. I noticed they only started happening when I had that on the computer, even though I wasnt actually using it at the time it still caused me problems. So I uninstalled it.

If your not using an encrypter and you havent changed directory locations in reg edit you should be ok. If you are still concenred that make sure you take a backup image before you start.

I've not used this myself but I hear good reviews of the program. Its cloning software. Macrium Reflect Free Download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:31:59 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »

Tony revert back mate, if you think long and hard about it you will realise you do not "need" windows 10.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 12:05:07 AM »

Thats not good.   I have an SSD for the O/S C Drive and currently have 3x physical HDDs in. 
I also run a few progs & apps direct from D: and one app from F:  :(

Mine updated itself the night before last.   I'm still finding preferences and settings its changed. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »

Thats not good.   I have an SSD for the O/S C Drive and currently have 3x physical HDDs in. 
I also run a few progs & apps direct from D: and one app from F:  :(

Mine updated itself the night before last.   I'm still finding preferences and settings its changed.

@kitz

I think as long as you have them setup in the settings->system->storage to save to the other drives then you'll be ok. I have all my games and programs set to install on the D drive. I only install system programs like anti-virus stuff to the ssd c drive.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »

Tony revert back mate, if you think long and hard about it you will realise you do not "need" windows 10.
New install of 8.1 done but not complete, it takes me about four days to set the machine back where it was starting from scratch. I've never had any trouble with 8.1 never seen a blue screen, it's fast and pretty well 100% reliable for me.

I tried the other test machine again with another install using just the SSD for C: and one D: mechanical drive with all non-system stuff on (correct system paths set) and it was fine - for two days then froze on a reboot with the Windows rotating cursor stuck forever and nothing would get it running again.  Only problem with system paths is that it does not list my two mapped NAS archive drives (one is a regular backup of the other but is offline most of the time just in case) and that's where most stuff is stored.

Haven't yet seen any offers to install the Anniversary update on any machine (they are all on defer but I thought that was ignored for this update), had to download it specifically for testing. Someone will no doubt come up with a solution that stops it if necessary. I run GWX Control panel on 8.1 anyway and that is a great little prog. Amusing also that when starting up 10 after an 'upgrade', it announces several programs are incompatible and has removed the without any warning. Odd as if I reinstall them it doesn't complain, even on a reboot.

I notice also that the test machine is ignoring entries in HOSTS that worked before even though they are still in the file.  Blocks on unwanted MS destinations still (currently) work with Windows Firewall though.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »

@Bowdon

Touch wood everything seems ok here so far with the drives.

The only annoying niggle I have is that it keeps changing what icons are displayed in the sys tray.    I keep resetting them to show, but every few days one of them will disappear again.   I have found a quick tip though... they can now be dragged, rather than have to go through settings.

That said.. I cant even find where you change it is settings now as the link has vanished from Settings  > Notifications.  >:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »

Hmm from settings go to system, then on the left side bar there should be: Notificiations & actions

Its the 4th option down on mine. When you select it scroll down as the top part are just on/off sliders. But further down individual programs are listed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:01:32 AM »

Nope... not there.

Only notifications and not anything for Taskbar icons.

Am I going blind [See screen caps below]
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:14:23 AM »

OK.   This is really annoying now.

Its changed again by itself and I've got one missing.   
PLUS.. it keeps putting the damn language 'ENG' on there which I dont want or need.   >:(

I had to google last time how to remove it..  but now I cant because thats supposed to also be in Notifications and actions but isnt .
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:53 AM »

FFS, they really like making you play hide and seek.   Its been moved to somewhere totally different and no-where on the net shows where the new location is.

I finally found it.

Now its under Settings -> Personalization - > Taskbar -> Notification area.  "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".

Changed.. lets see how long it lasts before it decides to change the icons again.    Every day its changing them and Ive been having to drag and drop them back on.
I only found about about the drag and drop method by accident.
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 12:42:58 AM »

right click the taskbar > click properties > notification area, click customize > you want either "turn system icons on our off" or "select which icons appear on the taskbar"
as for the ENG constantly reappearing, I get that also.
I noticed last week that it reappears every time I remotely access my PC from my phone using the splashtop app.
I'm yet to find a way to stop this happening.

edit: oops to slow. think my way might get there quicker
actually, just thinking about it I haven't installed the anniversary update on this PC, only on my laptop. so this might not work now I'd they've changed locations of some settings
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:48:45 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 01:12:07 AM »

right click the taskbar > click properties > notification area, click customize > you want either "turn system icons on our off" or "select which icons appear on the taskbar"

Thanks for the suggestion, they've changed that too. (see below)  :(

However, I have just discovered, clicking settings in there, doesn't take you to the normal settings page I was expecting,   but instead jumps straight to the brand new Taskbar settings page.

-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »

I'm glad you found it :)

It's still kind of confusing as it doesnt seem to have the HP ? icon on there.. I'm going to have to find a way to remove that.. it makes the taskbar look odd.

Win10 1607 had a small update recently. It was kinda sneaky too because it pops up like a regular program update. But it does all the rebooting etc.

They need to stop messing around with the format and make things work like they should.