Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is there a like function?  (Read 2704 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Is there a like function?
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »

I'm not familiar with how forums are programmed and what features they have.

I was just wondering if it was possible to put a 'Like' button on peoples posts?

Sometimes I agree with someones post but don't have much to contribute, especially if its a good post that answers everything. It just feels a bit strange that I can't acknowledge it was a good post without writing a reply.

It's no biggie but I thought I'd ask :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:42:28 AM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Is there a link function?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »

It's a question we've been asked before, but it's our feeling that Like and Dislike buttons are open to misuse, and also tend to encourage a competitive element which we don't really want. What we do like to see is thanks from the recipients of good advice, and it seems to me that the members of this forum are pretty good in that respect.
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: Is there a like function?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »

Sounds a little 'Facebooky' to me - which is not a good thing.   ;)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »

The forum software does have a Karma function, but I've never enabled for the reasons already mentioned by Eric.

Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated.

I dislike the forums whereby they encourage the competitiveness streak and you often finds 'groups of people' who go around liking others in the same group to up-rank their pals.   It also encourages the repetitive "If you feel this post has been of benefit blah blah" type signatures.  In some places (such as the BT forums) I find these quite distracting.  Ive also seem spats start on some forums if thanks has been given to the wrong posts and someone with say a less correct answer gets the point awarded.

I can understand where you are coming from, because on a couple of occasions in the past Ive thought "I like that post" and it would have been a quick and easy way to give thanks without actually contributing to the thread.    I havent searched the mods for quite a while but last time I looked everything seemed to either encourage that competitive ranking streak or be associated with facebook.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »

Ahh I didn't know it had been asked before, or all the drama that seems to go with it. I can understand that kind of thing going on. Though I never really pay attention to others likes and dislikes. I know one forum I go on its a Thanks button and then in the user stats it just as posts you've been thanked for and posts you've thanked others for. The forum does have ranks but I think thats just based on the number of posts that person as made.

I agree about those on the BT forum adding signatures, which are quite big too.

I just like to appreciate a post even if I can't contribute anything to the topic... I guess I'm also thining when the other half text's me and say something and I don't really reply to it... see I'm missing a Like button irl!  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything