Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does getting rid of your phone help your DSL?  (Read 3102 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Does getting rid of your phone help your DSL?
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:29:57 AM »

If you completely do without a PSTN / POTS phone and get rid of your microfilter or faceplate-type filter and lose all extension wiring, and you think there's a chance it will improve your DSL performance or reliability?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:06:44 PM by Weaver »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Does getting rid of your phone help your DSL?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »

The voice side uses the low frequencies 300Hz to 3.4Khz the start of the broadband frequency starts looking at my VDSL circuit is 30Khz so you can see there is a large gap from 3.4Khz to 30Khz so no way would getting rid of the phone/voice help your DSL speed.

That micro filter or SSFP is only there to separate the voice frequencies and the broadband frequencies

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:20:20 PM by NewtronStar »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »

Just try it. It is easy enough to reconnect the extensions and NTE etc again. I found it to be very worthwhile.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

I certainly thought it was worthwhile in reliability terms. (Before I went to three lines bonded together.) My phone was to blame though, it used to keep disturbing the lines when it went off-hook, until I double-microfiltered it. So the removal of the phone was a factor there, and that additional factor mucked up my results. I had no extension wiring to lose.

I just wanted a sanity check, to see if other people had seen the same kind of results. Presumably having a very long line could possibly magnify the relative size of any effect.

Before I got rid of filters altogether, I found that the BT "Pressac" faceplate filter was the best for an extremely long line. Tried ADSL Nation ones too, active components, complicated design.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »

As most people have mobiles these days attached to their bodies, no-one I know rings landlines other than to check that someone is at home before visiting. If you have a good mobile signal at home I would ditch the voice & telephony from your landline and let it just do data.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »

no-one I know rings landlines

I do with free all calls to UK landlines and International calls 24/7 as long as you end the call before 1 hour has lapsed, doing this on a mobile phone would cost £40+ per month

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »

it does if you have a HR fault, otherwise it should have no impact.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »

It is the removal of the extension wiring & filters that makes the biggest difference.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »

I'd be surprised if it made any significant difference.  If it did make a difference, I'd be looking for whether there was a fault somewhere.  Not an HR fault mind, that would create different symptoms.

I'd also be curious, following the train of thought of HR faults, whether a typical line might be more inclined to developed such faults after long term (months/years) absence of any significant current flow? ???

Biggest thing for me would be, I couldn't do without a landline.   I regard my mobile number as a very private and personal thing, and share it with very few others.   Even those who know it, unless they knew of some special circumstances/agreements such as we were about to meet, would never use it.   And likewise, I would not use theirs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »

I still have the equivalent of my landline number, I went to VoIP instead. I haven't got round to testing it properly yet, due to illness. I must get onto it some time. It needs testing under full traffic load in one or even both directions.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »

I still have the equivalent of my landline number, I went to VoIP instead.

Fair point, VoIP vs POTS is a different debate to mobile vs POTS, I retract that aspect of my comments. :)

Cliff_G

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:12 AM »

If you have a good mobile signal at home....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Yes, I do, but only via the broadband (Vodafone Suresignal) which as I only get about 3 Mbps drops out as soon as anyone tries to use the interweb.

Other than that, I'd love 1G, never mind 3 or 4G

anything