Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VoIP and full load traffic  (Read 6724 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: VoIP and full load traffic
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »

I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't done any testing work on this, as my health has temporarily worsened if anything, in some respects. That's my excuse anyway.

If anyone should get a chance to test or do a packet capture then let me know.

I realise that I could do a packet capture with Andrews and Arnold’s ‘clueless' server, so I wouldn't have to set up a PC with the relevant software - I'm just using an iPad all the time these days. I’m not sure if a clueless capture at the ISP end as opposed to one at the local will be a fair picture, because although my firewall settings should allow everything outbound (=upstream) to pass through, it won't show the effects of the firewall’s blocking of some inbound (=downstream) traffic and I'll just have to allow for that by filtering in my head.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »

Does anyone else use VoIP, on any ISP ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »

Yes, Sipgate using a Grandstream GXP1400 on Plusnet.

I've been having two issues recently:
  • Intermittent dreadful incoming call quality. Sometimes re-establishing the call clears it. On one occasion it went bad on a call and cleared after about 10-15 seconds.
  • Sometimes people calling me get a dead line (no ring and it doesn't go to voicemail). Trying two or three times and it gets through.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »

@jelv - Are the problems to do with someone thrashing the link in one or other or both upstream or downstream directions ? Or no pattern?

Does anyone know if PlusNet supports QoS? And if your software and hardware and the other people you talk with do QoS-marking ? (Given my total ignorance of VoIP protocols, there could be obligatory QoS-marking at the IP level in the core protocols, for all I know.)

I'm just wondering if a lack of joined-up QoS is a killer, meaning that VoIP will never work in every situation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »

@jelv - Do you have any way of testing for “buffer-bloat” in this case?

Does anyone know about buffer-bloat in general with PlusNet ? Maybe it's also about particular routers too though, now I come to think about it.

There are speed testers that can give rough buffer-bloat indicators. Can't remember which ones - thinkbroadband? DSLReports ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »

It's definitely not due to any traffic of mine - my monthly usage on the 55/10 link is around 50GB (last month was really heavy and I reached 70GB).

At the time it goes funny there's nothing showing on the thinkbroadband quality monitor.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:50 AM »

We used Sipgate for inbound, I've not observed any issues but we don't receive all that many inbound calls.  I notice Sipgate doesn't set DSCP on their RTP packets.  I don't know whether that would affect Plusnet's traffic management.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »

Plusnet's traffic management is meant to recognise the VoIP traffic and set the packets to high priority without the other end doing anything.
Pages: 1 [2]