Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yes, you can get a DLM reset if you're lucky  (Read 6743 times)

busby

Re: Yes, you can get a DLM reset if you're lucky
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »

Conversely, electric is electric ....... you turn the TV on and it works, you turn the kettle on and it works ..... etc etc ........ NO two broadband lines will be the same, and as mentioned it then depends on what the EU expects of their own circuit.

Going slightly off topic now, but....

Roll on the day when broadband is broadband then. If there was proper infrastructure to support the service (for the last mile at least), then we wouldn't be in this situation. I had a similar conversation with the OR engineer the other day, and his response was "well, it keeps me in a job"  :D

Surely internet access is just another utility like electricity/gas etc. now. Why does my 'expectation' have to differ between my broadband and my other utilities?

Until the day comes (will it ever?) when we aren't trying to push 21st century services down bespoke circuits based on 19th century technology, then there will always be issues like these.

It'll be the same with G.Fast. My neighbour gets XMbp/s and I only get Y, just like it is now with FTTC. They are pushing fibre nearer (FTTC) and nearer (G.Fast) to the home, why not just be done with it and push it all the way?
Superfast BT fibre to ECI cabinet
Wet string from cabinet to Billion 8800NL

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »

When Joe Public is prepared to pay a proper price for it they will. But while everybody wants everything for tuppence it won't happen.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »

Busby ...... licquorice has pretty much nailed it above. However, this is wandering very much OT now and this debate has been covered in a zillion different threads on this site.  ;) :)

busby

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »

I know Black Sheep doesn't agree with my electricity analogy, but look at the infrastructure required to deliver that to our homes. Heck, £17bn for a new nuclear power station  :o

I currently pay about the same p/m for both services. Of course, the electricity is metered, but that's another can of worms  ;)

It's a zillion and one now   :D

Rant over

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »

I know Black Sheep doesn't agree with my electricity analogy, but look at the infrastructure required to deliver that to our homes. Heck, £17bn for a new nuclear power station  :o

I currently pay about the same p/m for both services. Of course, the electricity is metered, but that's another can of worms  ;)

It's a zillion and one now   :D

Rant over

Ha ha ....... as you've forced me back to your analogy  ;), all I will say is that when the original electrical network was built it was built to deliver 240/415v to the end user ....... transmission techniques may have changed but the end result has always been to supply those voltages.

Now, when the telephony network was built it was NEVER expected to be carrying high-frequency circuits, they weren't even dreamt of back then ....... so your analogy does not work. The two industries are completely separate, ergo are the expectations.

busby

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »

My point exactly!

That's why we need an infrastructure that is capable of carrying high-frequency circuits. One that is built for purpose, just as the original electrical network was. They did it way back for electric, why can it not be done for broadband in this day and age?  :(

Anyway, as you say, wandering very much OT now.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

"..........why can it not be done for broadband in this day and age?"

'They' can ....... I refer you back to licq's post. The crux of it is, originally the telephony network was built for PSTN frequencies, originally the electrical network was built to supply 240/415v .......

...... only one of these technologies has advanced way beyond what its infrastructure was originally intended for.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »

Maybe without EU subsidy rules the government can spend 20 Billion dragging us into the 21st Century?

They'll probably just spend it on more fancy rail lines or another overpriced reactor though....

busby

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »

They'll probably just spend it on more fancy rail lines or another overpriced reactor though....

Yes, then I'll be able to get from Leeds to London in 1hr 10mins, only marginally quicker than my IP packets  :lol:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »

Here's a link to ISP review and where we as a country are at the moment ....... http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/q1-2016-akamai-uk-internet-speeds-reach-15-mbps-vs-6-3-mbps-globally.html ......

busby

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »

Thanks for the link.

However, how we compare in the world league of broadband speeds is of no interest to me whatsoever, nor should the government be trumpeting that we are one of the best in Europe. (They get 230v as well btw  ;))

And how are these performance figures measured exactly?

Is the answer to move to South Korea?  :D

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »

Dont worry we'll all get FTTP, the copper mines have to run dry at some point.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »

busby, do you have the option of paying for FTTPoD yourself? (Well, probably not, because even if it is theoretically available, you won't be able to find an ISP offering it.)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

Thanks for the link.

However, how we compare in the world league of broadband speeds is of no interest to me whatsoever, nor should the government be trumpeting that we are one of the best in Europe. (They get 230v as well btw  ;))

And how are these performance figures measured exactly?

Is the answer to move to South Korea:D

I've been there just recently, and although I enjoyed the food (insert dog-jokes here) …… I wouldn't want to live there.  ;) ;D

The point of the link was to show you that most developed nations are having the same issues with their broadband roll-out. It is new technology over a legacy infrastructure ….. that's it in a nutshell. Nobody could have predicted we'd be here with DSL tech (globally), when each country put their own infrastructures in. It is what it is …… it has jack-sh1te to do with electricity  :lol:

If you read the link thoroughly, you'll see that stats (as with all stats), are not to be fully trusted. It is purely a layman's benchmark.

busby

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »

busby, do you have the option of paying for FTTPoD yourself? (Well, probably not, because even if it is theoretically available, you won't be able to find an ISP offering it.)

ejs - I'd happily pay for FTTPoD if it was available and at a reasonable price, but I'm stuck with the horse and cart (no VM round here) that BT/Government call superfast  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3