Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me Please! BT are Mugs  (Read 5614 times)

evolis

• Just arrived
Help me Please! BT are Mugs
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:52:45 PM »

BT Exchange Information
Exchange: #######.    BT Code: ####
   ADSL enabled :    August 25, 2004
   dsl Max enabled:    March 31, 2006
   SDSL enabled :    Not Enabled
   21CN due :    no info
Distance:-    Direct:          1.48 km
          (appx)*    By Road:    1.61 km
BT Line Speed Estimation    Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers

adsl button    Fixed ADSL:     1024 kbps    (1 Mb)
adsl button    DSL Max :      1500 kbps    (1.5 Mb)

Above is the test i have done on this site, basically i have had MAX ADSL as soon as my exchange got upgraded, i was on about 6meg which i was happy with and a few months late i noticed it was about 4meg, i have been at this speed for about 1-2 years with no problems, recently my speed dropped to about 200k so i rang my isp and they reset the sync ( the 10 day thing ).

It went back upto about 4meg so i thought everything was back to normal, then 2 days ago it dropped down to 1meg, i have been onto my isp and they say that BT said that 1meg is the only stable speed for my line...... "So its been fine for 2 years and now its not...."

I have been going round in circles used the bt speedtester and the tester on this site and both confirm the speed is 1-1.5meg, and my house is only a mile from the exchange, so i am asking you guys what to suggest to do, or if theres anything i can

Look forward to your replys

Thanks James
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:22:35 PM by Astral »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Help me Please! BT are Mugs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

It does seem odd that you have enjoyed fairly good speeds for a long while and now you don't. Could you post your router stats so that we can get an idea of your line conditions.

I have taken the liberty of anonymising your exchange details as they don't have any relevance to your problem.

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »

Hi thanks for the fast reply, i think these are the stats you want if not let me know what your after as my router doesnt show on the list, and yes its weird that test i posted, i just tried it again without the phone number and it shows speeds upto 5.5, do BT have the power just to cap my house only, theres only me and a neighbour in the 1 mile radius.

Modem Status

Connection Status         Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)         320
Ds Rate (Kbps)         1152
US Margin         6
DS Margin         7
Trained Modulation         ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors         0
DS Line Attenuation         63
US Line Attenuation         15
Peak Cell Rate         754 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast         0
CRC Tx Fast         0
CRC Rx Interleaved         0
CRC Tx Interleaved         5
Path Mode         Interleaved
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count         0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count         0

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »

Have you had any new phones on any extension or made any other changes to the equipment connected to your phone line (e.g. Sky box, alarm) that coincide with the problems starting?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »

nope, we have sky but its not connected to the phone line

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »

Your downstream attenuation is as high as most routers will indicate, it could be higher than 63dB in reality. This would certainly limit your throughput and I think that is rather high if your line is really about a mile long. It could possibly be a lot longer but that is almost impossible to determine unless you are a BT engineer.

Is your telephone line noisy? If this is the case, this may indicate a line fault. This would be fixed free of charge and may improve matters.

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »

its abit noisy yes, but BT dont see a fault, so where do i go from here?

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »

You cold try explaining to the Technical helpdesk on 08001114567 that number may look fake but it is real. Or you can get in touch by email which is where i started with BT

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »

yea i have emailed bt wholesale ill try that number tomorrow

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »

Definitely something not quite right to be sending your attenuation through the roof. Chances are it is a line fault, there is no way that you would ever have had 4Mbps+ on the line in that condition. As can be seen from your line stats it only has the technical capability to hold 1Mbps.

This is not BT capping your line, although this is can be done. Your router stats are showing that it is line conditions that are limiting your speed. Unfortunately I don't know much about line faults but there is certainly something not right.

As BT will likely ask you to do, perform a check at the master socket. If you have a "split front" one, then remove the lower panel to access the test phone socket located behind. Removing the panel disconnects any internal wiring you might have, which means that if you connect your router and the stats are basically the same that it is definitely a line fault.

Likewise if you get normal stats/speeds at the test socket then you have an internal wiring fault which is not BTs problem, although this is rather unlikely.

The troubleshooting page shows you a pick of a modern master socket and how to test your line. If you dont have one of these sockets then you cant really do anything other than keep on at BT.

Kitz Website - ADSL Troubleshooting
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:51:59 AM by soms »

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »

thanks for the reply, but done the master test socket thing about 100 times before, as isps always ask to perform this 1st, i done another little test and enter my neighbours number into the adsl checker and even though he lives about 50 meters away his comes back at supporting upto 3meg

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »

also today my router sync is :

DSL Speed:     352/4640kbps

MikeS

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »

Have you tried using Routerstats to check if you are getting any very noisy periods which give you drops followed by low syncs. 

evolis

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »

Right now this is my sync:

DSL Speed:     352/4704kbps

Im going to wait 3 days for the IP Profile to update, then ill go from there, ill keep you updated soon

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:10:01 AM »

2 main things indicate the problem.

Attenuarion 63db. which means 63 db or over, which will seriously affect a rate adaptive dsl set up for any thing over 60db.

You mentioned a noisy line, ok so faults may say the line tests as ok, 4/5 times this means nothing wrong although 1/5 times you do have a fault but the RATS (the test system for pstn) dosn't register a condition. I think this is your main target to  get your sp to get an engineer out. regardes  of RATS states
Pages: [1] 2

anything