Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: NTE5C / MK4 Filter 2016 Version now available for purchase!  (Read 27860 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: NTE5C / MK4 Filter 2016 Version now available for purchase!
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »

Does the whole thing just screw into a standard BT back-box?
Yes.  He didn't change the back box.
Is there any chance of asking for an upgrade? ...
The downside is you wouldn't be able to fit the A&A DSL, as the layout is completely different with the test socket near the middle.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »

In theory it should. Including the standard recessed, metal, electrical backing box.  :-\

If it doesn't, then someone has severely blundered and a redesign will have to occur.

FYI ...... part of a quote from our CE's office .........

" .... you need some spacers in case you need to fit the NTE on a metal pattress or dry lining back box until the MK2 becomes available."

tgwallbank

• Just arrived
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

I am just interested as to why this does not flush mount onto a recessed back box set into the plaster. If any one has got one what modifications, if any, where required. I am having to change a damaged mk3 vdsl unit and was thinking of obtaining this latest offering.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »

@aesmith Clarify - does the new model NTE come with a filter in it? Too groggy to read back through all the earlier threads. Apologies.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »

FYI ...... part of a quote from our CE's office .........

" .... you need some spacers in case you need to fit the NTE on a metal pattress or dry lining back box until the MK2 becomes available."

Ah, ha! So someone in the design process (and I fully expect the person responsible to be external to the BT Group) has blundered!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »

@aesmith Clarify - does the new model NTE come with a filter in it? Too groggy to read back through all the earlier threads. Apologies.

Currently it is available in two configurations --
  • with no filtering and a standard telephony socket
  • with the filtering circuity and both telephony and xDSL sockets
The difference between the two configurations is purely in the clip-on front face-plates.

For usage in your environment you would be advised to use the former. (There will be a small insertion loss with the latter and that is something you need to avoid.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:41:17 PM by burakkucat »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »

Many thanks for that summing up. So for the first option I'd have to change over to different modem-to-wallsocket cables. Probably a bad idea, and an inconvenience, so as the change would only be about increased convenience then perhaps I would be better sticking as I am.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »

Yes, I would agree with your conclusion.

To make use of the plain telephony NTE5/C you would need three leads with BT 431A/631A plugs at one end and 6P6C (RJ11) plugs at the other end.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:27:45 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

Ah, ha! So someone in the design process (and I fully expect the person responsible to be external to the BT Group) has blundered!  :D

Ha ha ....... in fairness to innovators, I don't suppose there's many 'Version 1's' that remain so. But given that there aren't that many scenario's regarding the NTE back-box installations, I'd say it is a slight faux-pas  ;) ;D ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »

The My Mate Vince youtube channel guy as just made a video on this product. Have a look;

The New NTE5C BT OPENREACH Master Phone Socket & MK4 VDSL faceplate

Hi, this video is an introduction to the new NTE5C master socket and MK4 VDSL faceplate by BT Openreach. It explains the differences between the old NTE 5A master socket and the new NTE 5C and the pros and cons.
Installation videos will follow on how to wire up extensions and how to hardwire data extensions on the MK4 faceplate.
Many thanks Vince

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFMfB-DYmQ[/youtube]

There is a thread on the forum about his other videos: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14869.0.html
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »

hehehe I told him to make a video about it  :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2016, 04:36:16 AM »

In that Mr Telephone video, the presenter, Vince, demonstrated some worrying problems with the new BT Openreach MK4 VDSL/ADSL filtered faceplate on the accompanying NTE5C. The front plate could come off too easily. Just knocking it could pull it half off, one side having come out. Also problems with running cables into the new NTE5C because of limited space.

A very clever design, but this thing of coming off too easily, without pressing the two release clips on the sides, needs to be fixed. And if you have infants about, they can keep taking the front of the NTE5C off or taking the MK4 SSFP off far too easily and you can't stop them, which will cut off your DSL service. These last two issues are going to cause a lot of tech support calls.

Pressac have done a great job, but it isn't finished. They should be ensuring that there's an effective lock on the device. I'm also concerned about the lack of positive pressure on the metal-to-metal contacts. With the screws in the earlier design, the NTE5A, there was always pressure on the contacts. Where's the pressure now?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »

The front plate could come off too easily. Just knocking it could pull it half off, one side having come out
Mine's been installed for just about a month and a half.  The front plate is so loose that just unplugging the phone cable is enough to pull it free on that side.  It really doesn't take much to pull the plate off, even without depressing the clips.   That might be a design goal so that snagging a cable pulls the plate off rather than breaking anything, but if so they've overdone it.  Mine's going to get a couple of self tappers to keep everything secure, it's either that or discard the front plate and use a dangly filter in the test socket.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

I've been fitting these for around a month now ..... and can honestly say the frontplate has always been quite secure when the job is complete.
As with any change, I didn't like them at first ...... especially as my failing eyesight struggled to see if the wires were 'all the way home' before pushing down on the connector itself, but familiarity has overcome this now.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »

The guy who fitted mine was the same, he said the "tool free" design was actually slower for him than using the tools he was used to.   Does the new design mean that the connections can be re-made after disconnection, without having to cut off the previously used ends?   I can't see what other benefit it would have for Openreach on their side of the demarcation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything