Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Banded on Upstream and Downstream  (Read 1446 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Banded on Upstream and Downstream
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »

I've known for awhile that my upstream was banded but I now assume the downstream is banded too on my line S.Step.

My question is seeing as I have G.INP on ECI if I managed to get a DLM reset would G.INP return or would it vanish into the winds.

I seem to have gotten a speed increase due to the PWR going from 3.6 to 5.1, unfortunately the monitor was down after my server updated to W10AE.

I'd only bother with pursuing a reset if the attainable stays that way for awhile.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: Banded on Upstream and Downstream
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 05:54:17 PM »

Seems to be doing fine, i'll give it a few days before trying for a DLM reset if I feel like risking it.

Stats attached.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »

My question is seeing as I have G.INP on ECI if I managed to get a DLM reset would G.INP return or would it vanish into the winds.

For sure you will lose G.INP for a month or two after DLM is reset that is all we know will it return that we don't know as you would be the test guinea pig  ;)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »

I wouldn't risk it lol. Better to keep it for now and when perhaps it's reintroduced if ever you could do it then...

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »

If it stays like that for a few days I'll sacrifice G.INP for the greater good.

Hell I once had my other line at 0.0db and racked up an completely insane number of errored seconds.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »

Got in touch with BT via Webchat was told my SNR would be reset in 5-7 days.

I highly doubt this and have printed the chatlog so I can call BS on them next week, if by some miracle something actually happens then I guess they have some special new DLM powers.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »

you definitely got an idiot who doesn't know the difference between dlm resets on adsl/fttc. either nothing will happen or it will be spotted and an engineer sent.

regarding what BlackSheep says about OpenReachs policy that engineers should not perform a dlm reset unless a physical fault has been fixed, I think they need to make an exception for banding. It's become quite obvious recently that dlm is applying banding more often and earlier than before in its attempts to stabilise a line. It also appears to be sticking in most cases, even after a switch in product. a dlm reset by an engineer on site being the only way to remove banding seems a bit of a joke to me.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 10:10:49 PM »

When I've had engineers before they always have shown me the sync and attainable on the device they have, I'm pretty sure I can get across my point and they'll hear me out.

The think that puts people off is the threat of charges if no fault is found etc.

For banding even getting across the point is difficult because as far as I am aware all the GEA service tests I've seen don't include SNR or attainable so the agents cannot see the problem.

I'm only going along with the 5-7 days thing so I have a stronger position later, that and it is good for my patience maybe DLM will relent miraculously.

anything