Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: USO - anything concrete?  (Read 2468 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
USO - anything concrete?
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »

Does anyone know if there has been anything concrete said about the way the proposed 2020 10Mbps USO is supposed to be implemented technically?

And who is supposed to have the duty of delivering it?

In fact, did anything ever happen about the 2 Mbps USC which was supposed to be coming in, when, around now? Quite a few of my neighbours don't have 2 Mbps downloads.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: USO - anything concrete?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 06:58:14 PM »

Ofcom held a consultation about the new USO recently and is due to respond by the end of the year: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/broadband-USO-CFI/ which is looking at the topics you raise - including who does it fall to deliver it and how to fund it

This followed an earlier consultation from DCMS: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/broadband-USO-CFI/summary/broadband-uso.pdf

I know less about the 2 Mbs USC but if I recall correctly it was a Labour Party/government commitment from 2009 but never funded by them - as such the original deadline of 2012 was extended to 2016 but not a priority as say BDUK is - as such, I suspect they will just offer a subsidised satellite option to those who can't get those speeds ATM.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:19:21 AM »

The USC is being run as a subsidy voucher scheme for satellite or wireless. I'm not sure whether every BDUK scheme has started up yet.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »

This proposed USO will be completely useless if they continue to focus on data rate only.  For example the current supposedly subsidised satellite services offered in Aberdeenshire meet that 10meg target.  The reality is that latency on the service is such that they actually perform poorer than a 3.5meg ADSL (our neighbour has both, which is where I make that comparison).   In addition they have low monthly usage allowances, maximum at the moment is 40G per month.

Cost should be a factor as well, since if you take that out of the equation then I could order a 10meg service at home right now.  Excess Construction Charges might be over £100K, but the service is actually available.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »

This illustrates the complete craziness of it. If any crap is ok as long as it can claim to give 10 Mbps downstream sometimes, then we are all going to get screwed, taxpayers and unwary network users alike.

I wonder also what about shared systems, like the local “Skyenet” wireless system which is "available" in the village (if it is ever actually working) and claims to offer 5 Mbps downstream cheap, except that it's a shared system so of course that figure (which is not defined in the advertising) depends on how many punters are using the service in a cell at any one instant, unlike DSL, where per-line figures for the main bottleneck are always quoted nowadays, and which are accurate unless contended at the backhaul or inside the ISP. So saying that a shared wifi service offers 10 Mbps, but omitting the truth that it might only be occasionally so sometimes at 4am, might be enough for a garbage service to appear to qualify.