Internet > Interesting Websites

Websites grabbing your email address the moment you merely visit them

<< < (2/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
This is more than just sharing email though, it's much more targeted.

You might for example be browsing a website for some hotel chain you are thinking of using, and have never used, but you decide against it before giving them any details.   And a few days later, you get a personalised email from the hotel chain... they got your email just from you visiting their site.

Weaver's link explains how it's done.

Chrysalis:
yes there is tracking for targeted advertising, but the worst part of it is them getting the email address, without that they cannot send you the spam.

Ronski:
I often make up fake email addresses for the domain I'm visiting if an email is required, if they require further info I've often entered the websites phone number as well. I've often entered "I just want a price" as my name as well.

renluop:
@Ronski
I do as you do, and also with sites that are hopeless to unsubscribe from, where a new false address does wonders.

sevenlayermuddle:
Another tactic, if you have your own domain, is to register with the real domain but a modified user name, eg if registering with Vodafone instead of 7lm@... I might use 7lm-Vodafone@...

I still get the emails as it passed to the 'catchall'.    But if I subsequently receive spam addressed to 7lm-Vodafone, at least I know who to blame.

For clarity Vodafone is just an example, I tried the above tactic with them and three years on, not a single spam.  Vodafone are clean. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version