Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting to get SES and resyncs  (Read 4408 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Starting to get SES and resyncs
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »

Over the past 5 days have witnessed SES during evening time with resyncs in last two days even CRC spikes of 1200 and no T/Storms in the area it's those resyncs that are alarming to me as this has always been a reliable line for me.

Yes the SNRM did drop by 1.4dB a few days ago thinking it was a crosstalker coming back from holidays but something is just not right even have the ISP telephone number right next to me in case this line kicks the bucket even have the Radio receiver hissing away in background during each spike but nothing audible to say it's internal or close by.

Can anyone see anything that looks out of place on my stats

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Starting to get SES and resyncs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »

I had a look newt but I am not knowledgeable enough to work anything out here.

The SES considering you got g.inp must mean the noise causing it is massive.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »

Streetlight issue ??? Just had one in our area affecting circa 50 EU's.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »

Streetlight issue ??? Just had one in our area affecting circa 50 EU's.

Funny enough two streetlights have been off for over 6 nights they are close to this drop pole less than 20 meters.

@ Chry your spot on without G.INP my line would be heavily interleaved with banding aver all this  just don't like these resyncs in the evening time it's just not the norm here unless a fault is  showing it's head  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »

Funny enough two streetlights have been off for over 6 nights they are close to this drop pole less than 20 meters.

It might be worthwhile for you to take your radio out towards the pole carrying the DP and then over to each of the two street lights, in turn.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

If the rain stays off I may even try that BC at 20:00, you would have thought if there was some electrical arcing going on the SNRM should show dips in the graph during each event and can't see any reason to be getting these resyncs anywhere from 8pm to 1am

Cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »

Have those two lights been reported to the relevant maintenance entity? With luck, when repaired, your broadband problems may then cease.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »

Yes four lights are showing up as red on the map Information: L4 L1 L8 L9 (Light Out O/S 4) so more than two lights out all close to DP pole and the main underground joint cover.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:47:16 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »

Just to keep you updated streetlights turned on at 21:11 with one SES and all lights switched on IE orange at the start then the four defective lights stopped producing light within 2 minutes

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »

MDWS shows a resync at 19:26 this evening yet the modem says System Up-Time   3D 8H 14M 1S and Connection Time 1 Day(s) 19:00:57 but yet there is no gap on the stats and no changes of modem stats very confused.com  :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »

Update all streetlights came on at 21.20 and the four lights under investigation have remained on for 30 minutes and continuing to work so some one has fixed that issue'

Will remain vigilant until this line has 14 days worth of stats after the event was fixed ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »

As far as I am aware, the system "up time" is the length of time that the modem/router has been powered on. The "connection time" would be the length of time that the modem and the DSLAM have spent in a synchronised state.

Perhaps the MDWS server had a "funny turn" and just reported a phantom resynchronisation event?  :-\

It's good to know that those lights have been repaired. I'll keep a remote watch, via MDWS, to see how your circuit responds.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 01:14:34 AM »

As always burakkucat I appreciate any info you can give

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »

@NStar

This is complicated but some investigations have been going on in the background since yesterday between myself and Eric on this.

In a nutshell, I did initially delete the resync data so it doesn't appear on the graph or the dropdown list.

However I'm 99% certain it DID resync last evening and if you look at the Uptime graph, you'll see that agrees. As of now your modem is still reporting that the line dropped at 19:26 and will continue to do so until it resyncs again. I can't alter that and the values, like all on MDWS, are what was uploaded by the client, in this case DSLstats.

However, Eric tells me that for this particular parameter, depending on the modem and a few other factors, what you see locally on DSLstats may not be what is uploaded to MDWS - and in this instance it is very likely the case...  There are two data figures for the uptime - one is in seconds ( called 'AS') the other in hours (as 'Since Link Time' or DSL_up_time).

Since we started two years ago in 2014 HG612 Modem Stats has always set the hours to the value of seconds/3600. This was because I don't think BE1 ever saw any difference in them (and that was the only upload prog originally).

Eric did see some difference occasionally though and in the case of your modem as an example, it sometimes reports a different value for the hours. That you will see locally while on MDWS the divided seconds gets uploaded and that is where things may be a bit odd. I quote Eric:

There's always been a little confusion over these two values, and I
think Paul and I handle them differently. During the early days I
noticed at least one occasion in which the AS value reported by the
modem didn't match the value reported in the line in the stats starting
"Since link time =" and I concluded that the latter was actually the
correct value. However not all Broadcom-based modems include the "Since
link time =" line, but all of them include the AS value.

For consistency with Paul I only upload the two values you mention:
field 18 is the AS value, and field 23 is AS/3600. But locally DSLstats
reports the "Since link time =" value if it's available, otherwise it
reports a time calculated from AS.

It remains my belief that AS isn't
always correct after a resync.

What NS refers to as "System uptime" is what I now call "Modem uptime",
i.e. it's how long the modem has been powered up since the last full
reboot. So that figure can be ignored in the context of the present
discussion. I see he uses a Billion 8800NL, and this model does report
the "Since Link time =" value, so he can answer his own question by
referring to Telnet Data --> Connection stats where the line in question
is near the end.

If you don't understand all this (I don't fully) you'll have to ask Eric. I unfortunately don't have more time to look at it, I've already spent a good few hours. I have a kitchen disassembled and in bits on the dining room floor and I must get on with its refurbishment....  I can reinstate the resync if you want.

[Moderator edited to replace the year 2004 with 2014, as the latter was two years ago. (As of the date of this edit.)]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:39:24 PM by burakkucat »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »

Thanks for investigating and I also checked the 8800nl system logs during that odd resync and nothing showed up at that time and actually the log was empty as I had cleared the system log an hour before the suspect resync.

When I was getting the previous resyncs the 8800nl had loads of entries with PPPoE stuff showing  the drop and reconnect times and this is why to me it looks like a false positive resync I'll keep a close eye on DSLstats and the Modem for any more oddities.
Pages: [1] 2

anything