Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: QLN showing missing tones - causing line fault/drops?  (Read 1701 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
QLN showing missing tones - causing line fault/drops?
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »

My data is on MDWS under gt94sss2 and I would be grateful if those of you who are good at looking at stats could have a look (you know who you are! :))

In brief, I have been uploading my stats consistently since getting FTTC last year apart from a few weeks in June/July this year when I was trying an incompatible modem.

Having switched back to my VMG8924 running v14 of the firmware, I have found that the line has started to lose sync once every couple of days and I don't know why (the other resyncs are caused by me)

Looking at the stats - I see my line attenuation has increased from 16.1 to between 16.4-16.6 (which I assumed was due to the weather?) and that the QLN is now not showing any upload between tones 2575 and 2792 - before June it was.

Could the missing tones be causing the loss of sync or be a sign of a different line fault?

Its not affecting the speeds I get given I am on the 55/10 product and sync above that but would prefer a stable line as I used to have with no unexected loss of connection and thus not at risk of banding!

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:45:00 PM by gt94sss2 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Quiet Line Test showing missing tones - causing line fault/drops?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »

I presume you're talking about QLN (quiet line noise) and not the quiet line test, which is something different. I'm currently using a VMG8324 in bridge mode, which has the same DSL hardware and firmware, and I see that my own QLN graph is showing a gap in the same area (a larger gap than yours). But my bitloading shows normal values in that area, and your bitloading in the area of the gap is fairly normal looking, although only 2 bits per tone.

So I don't think that the absence of QLN values in that area is  the cause of the connection drops. You could look at the bitloading graph on DSLstats, which updates the values every minute, whereas the MDWS graph is only updated once an hour. If the bits/tone in that area rise and fall a lot, then this could be an issue.
  Eric

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: QLN showing missing tones - causing line fault/drops?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »

Eric, thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant my QLN and have amended my post above..

I was using the the same VMG8324/firmware combination before June and didn't have the gap in my QLN then.

I will try and have a look at the bitloading graph on DSLstats as suggested though it might not be straightforward due to the location of the which Pi is used for other purposes as well.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: QLN showing missing tones - causing line fault/drops?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »

I can't look at MDWS at the moment, but I vaguely recall that I didn't always get QLN values for all upstream tones. I don't, off the top of my head, recall if this behaviour was on my HG612 or my 8800NL.

Whichever, it seemed to be a fault in reporting QLN, as bit loading was normal, and I had no resyncs.

anything