Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DLM Reducing Target Down SNRM To 3db ? Dropouts.  (Read 7116 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: DLM Reducing Target Down SNRM To 3db ? Dropouts.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »

Can the DLM be told to leave me alone?
If you use a router where you can over-ride the target noise margin, you could run at 6dB even though DLM has set 3.  Note that any router that I've seen actually offsets the target rather than setting an absolute value, so for example on my Billion if you set it to 9dB what that actually means is to aim for 3dB more than the DLM setting.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »

I really don't know with BT, but TalkTalk could completely stop DLM affecting my line. After weeks of DLM constantly changing me off 6dB, and TalkTalk constantly setting it again, they eventually "disabled DLM on my line", as they worded it. The last year I was with TalkTalk on ADSL I never  had DLM move me off 6dB again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »

> Can the DLM be told to leave me alone?

Although the answer is "No" in a way, you could always move to a non-BT _LLU_ line if that is available on your exchange. An example is TalkTalk Wholesale LLU, and in that case there's no stupid DLM at all to contend with. See the following page for a description of TalkTalk Wholesale's features:
    http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ttbt.html

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:52:09 PM by Weaver »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 06:52:34 AM »

I thought the BT ADSL2+ DLM can be configured to leave you alone. There is supposed to be the option to set "custom thresholds", for example if the MTBE red threshold is set to 0, and the MTBE green threshold is set to 86400, then the MTBE will always be above red and below green, so the line will be permanently on amber, and therefore the DLM will never change things. A little more recently there was more talk about being able to set fixed parameters, but they sounded much the same as what could be achieved already by setting custom thresholds.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »

I can confirm that ADSL2 DLM can be 'turned off' via a cooperative and understanding ISP.......mine was done so back in 2014 and remained off until I moved to FTTC in 2015. The absence of DLM benefitted my line enormously.

For years my line experienced huge CRC error rates at times during spring-autumn - sporadically, sometimes for weeks at a time, but stopping during rain. The high rates caused DLM to hit my line with very high interleaving and increased SNRM, neither of which reduced the high CRCs. It wasn't until 2014 that I was able to accurately pinpoint the cause - it was electric fences several hundred yards away.  The farmer allowed me to confirm the cause, by temporarily turning a fence off, and seeing the CRCs immediately cease, but I could not expect him to undertake expensive problem rectification. An extremely helpful agent at my ISP (sorry, I agreed not to specify them) tried various measures over a period of a couple of weeks, but none caused any CRC reduction, and eventually he agreed to place an order with BTW to 'turn off' DLM - I don't know what the exact terminology was. The result, as intended, was that the high CRCs continued, but DLM didn't then take any annoying action. It proved a good work-round for 12 months till fibre arrived.

When fibre was initially activated, I could still see the high fence-induced CRCs, but within 24 hours, VDSL DLM applied interleaving and G.INP which dealt with them, reducing CRCs and ES to almost zero. FECs increased, but didn't affect my VDSL experience.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »

I definitely stand corrected.  ;D
Thanks for that, very useful.

Remers

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »

Thanks for the information Jack and all other that have contributed. BT are helping as much as they can but despite resetting the SNRM to 6 and getting line stability it keeps sending it lower. The most recent values are:

( 5938.880000) ETHoA is up -​ VPI: 0, VCI: 35 Down Rate=18894Kbps, Up Rate=1006Kbps; SNR Margin Down=0.5dB, Up=6.0dB

0.5db. :D

Remers

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »

I thought I would report back on the debacle that is BT.
Sent a letter to Gavin Patterson (BT CEO) and got a call back from his technical department. They said they were going to carry out a load of tests as usual, and call me back within 48 hours. No call back materialised even though the technical person said she had tried (I keep my call logs from the phone). I sent a reminder email to the contact at BT and heard nothing. After looking at the logs on my HH5, someone downloaded a .tar file onto the modem and increased the SNR to 9. I monitored this for a few weeks and it never went below 9.

It appears therefore that BT do indeed have the ability to set a lower floor SNR value.

I am now sitting here with an SNR(down) reading of 16, which has been consistent over the past month. Completely at a loss with BT as is the entire village. We had a meeting regarding planning issues and other community related issues and we are still in the same boat as we were 6 months ago with BT.

Speed is showing just in excess of 10, but streaming is almost impossible
Pages: 1 [2]