Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MDWS & Gui-less Pi  (Read 1393 times)

roswellgrey

MDWS & Gui-less Pi
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:47:45 AM »

I've been asked before if I could produce a version of DSLstats which runs without a GUI to upload data to MDWS, but I'm afraid it's not going to be possible. Your script gets a subset of the data from the modem, but it takes a great deal of processing to get it into a form which can be uploaded to MDWS, and only two programs are authorised to upload this data. I'm sorry to be so negative, but I'm afraid that following this route is a non-starter.

A simpler low-cost solution is to run DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi. After it's been set up, the RPi will happily run without a monitor connected, even though it's still running the GUI.

A simple offer here (nothing more, nothing less)...
I developed a daemon (gui-less) based solution a couple of years ago for my own amusement, and it works quite well.
I have no intention at all in taking the solution forward in terms of public use (there is no point), but, if required/wanted, I could (probably) adapt the Pi end to talk to MDWS rather than my webserver, hence addressing a few requests I have seen over the last 2 years from Pi users who don't want to run up a graphical environment.
To the owners of the other parts of the solution : Appreciate the potential complexities of the situation & also appreciate that you might not want to do this or have time to deal with such a niche requirement, but just thought I would offer in case it was of interest .....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:58:58 AM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL