Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service  (Read 9373 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »

>> Mind you with FTTP, having two lines would presumably give me no reliability advantage as the exchange-related

The cab would be the single point of failure - say if someone smashed a van into it , but then again I suppose similar could happen with a PCP.   
Openreach have emergency mobile fftc cabs that can be put in place if its going to take a while to sort properly. (ronski posted some photos last year from one near him when a RTA obliterated the cab)

Once at the exchange you can still get redundancy by using an LLU supplier who will have their own backhaul... so in that respect it's similar to ADSL. 
Although on that point the 'exchange' may not be your local one and instead a larger headend exchange.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

Yeah for true redundancy you need to pick alternate means of delivery.

In my case I use FTTC primarily, but if it goes down I have 4G as a backup.  Completely different techs.  I also have the option of VM cable as a third means of delivery.

I am considering a second FTTC line, the main thing holding me back is I might be moving within a few months, so obviously would be bad to commit with that in mind, but if I do get an extra FTTC line then it would be on a different wholesale privder probably talktalk business, but as kitz said I would still be going to the same cabinet and exchange.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything