Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weird event today  (Read 1404 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Weird event today
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »

A very odd occurrence today at around 15:30 Snr DS dipped to near zero ,us affected as well, and also a spike of error seconds and Severe error seconds there is also a some a short burst of packet loss at this same time, but no re-sync or change in IP profile

Could this be something random or part of an ongoing line fault? MDWS user name is tom34

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Weird event today
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »

Do you actually have an on-going line fault?  :-\

Having taken a quick look, I see the event at 1530 hours registers on the SNRM, the FEC and the CRC plots as essentially one spike. There appears to be nothing pre- or post- event.

My advice is to file it under the heading of "One of Life's Little Mysteries":)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

It also stopped or interfered with the internet connectivity as well ,which is concerning , as for the possible line fault i was some time ago hearing crackling on the voice side, but this seems to of fizzled out, still see bursts of fec's both us and ds as well as a burst in  US  Error seconds each time the phone rings, but there isn't any significant interaction when i make a call

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »

From the symptoms you have just described in your update, I suspect the circuit has a "borderline" HR or semiconducting joint. Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to find until such time as it has "ripened".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »

Well it's so far been really slow, maybe once summer is out of the way things may get worse enough for an engineer to find

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »

Welcome to the US errored seconds when phone rings club the more calls you receive in one hour the higher those ES rate seems to climb and other users see US errored seconds 24/7 even without the phone ringing it's something you get used to as long as it does go into the US DLM red zone you should be fine.

It can take many years for a small HR issue to become a full on HR fault I am still waiting after 3 years for this circuit to nose dive  ;D

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:54:36 PM »

Well i think the fault is responsible for the loss of ds snr around 2db's worth of it, and some from the us too, wish they would roll out ftth, not that bothered about 330mbps ds, but to remove all the problems related to the crappy copper that was never designed for data at dsl speeds