Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will we ever have fttc from BT?  (Read 3475 times)

dfects

Will we ever have fttc from BT?
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »

Hiya,

In Telford, there is a scheme to roll out Fibre internet with BT across the region. We've been planned for phase 1 which is due to complete. Last week the BT adsl checker started showing VDSL multicast.

So I did a check on the openreach when and where page and it now says:

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options. If you'd like us to let you know if fibre becomes available, register your details."

Our cabinet is a bit weird, and I can only find houses on our little estate on it and a small industrial estate near by. Using a business phone number from the estate, it seems they have fibre enabled now:

The thing is, we're only 0.5km as the crow flies from the cabinet as far as I can tell. I know the line length will be longer, but 4-5 times longer!?:

The business I checked (01952 615939) is here:

We don't have virgin available, so we're stuck with BT adsl at 6mb. I've verified our cab is at the bottom of furnace road as before the cab was switched with a new one, it had 26 clearly painted on it. I just don't see how they could of cabled it so long that 0.5km turns into 2-3km :(

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Will we ever have fttc from BT?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »

have you tried the address checker rather than the number checker? check other addresses nearby too. sounds like the cabinet is enabled and taking orders though. The message on the "where and when" page saying your line may be too long is just a generic message indicating your cabinet is taking orders but that you can't order.

it could well be an error in the availability database which prevents you from ordering. I had the exact same problem and it took quite a while to get corrected. a check of some neighbouring properties on the address checker should give an indication.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dfects

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply! Using the address checker for our postcode, any house on our estate is served by cab 26 like ours with a range of 4-6mbps with vdsl multicast available, but no fibre listed. Sadly I don't have any phone numbers for my neighbours. I might knock and ask them to check though.

I don't have much faith in the address checker... when we moved in it said most houses were on cab 3, but that's changed to 26 now.

If it is a database issue, how would I actually go about trying to get openreach to investigate it?

dfects

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:01 PM »

We did have a fault with openreach repaired recently... Really hoping that hasn't changed something:

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: FU (Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF))
Fault Code: NSY (Noisy)
Clear Code: 81.7
Clear Message: Pair Changed from MDF-PCP

No idea what this means

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »

just had a quick look using some of the streets from your local area, and most of your neighbouring streets are served by cabinet 3. cabinet 26 only serves 4 postcodes, yours being the only residential street. The other 3 appear as mainly business properties, listed as units on industrial estates. The vast majority are showing up as able to order fibre. certainly sounds like a database error unless your line takes a ridiculous route to the cabinet (which is quite possible). chatting to a local OpenReach engineer might help in obtaining a more accurate route of your line.

after over 6 months and trying many many different avenues to have the database updated for my street, it was eventually fixed by taking it right to the top. I emailed the CEO of OpenReach and within a week I had a dedicated complaint advisor and an engineer mapping my line right to the cabinet. within 5 minutes of the engineer leaving my property the database was fixed. good luck with your issue!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

We did have a fault with openreach repaired recently... Really hoping that hasn't changed something:

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: FU (Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF))
Fault Code: NSY (Noisy)
Clear Code: 81.7
Clear Message: Pair Changed from MDF-PCP

No idea what this means

That will have no bearing on your FTTC predicament. That is simply a 'pair change' from the Tel Exchange to your existing Cab. There must have been a fault on the original pair of wires.  :)

dfects

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I really wish you could just phone openreach and speak to someone, its such a pain. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me from using a web form on the "when and where" page. They replied initially but are apparently awaiting more information. I have no idea how to get hold of a local openreach engineer to speak to them about this.

I contacted plus.net the other day and the woman basically used the when and where page and told me it was just too long of a line based on that text and couldn't give me any more technical information. On their forums, one of the staff members said we were 2km from the cabinet!? Not sure how. You can still see the old cabinet on street view with its number clear as day: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.687577,-2.4420646,3a,75y,350.94h,70.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxonv5eVQ3AoyjTxpmCyuYw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:43:24 PM by dfects »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »

Hmmm ........ if you reside on Priory Way, all the distribution points (DP's) are underground fed (UG), ie: not fed via a telephone pole.
From my limited vision of the main spine-feed, it appears to go back to Cab 3 not Cab 26, which is actually slightly nearer to you with the way the cable feeds.

This is all speculation and the only way I could dig deeper is if you gave me a PM with your tel number.  :)

You're less than 1km (guessing your premises) even if you're fed from Cab26.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:59:19 PM by Black Sheep »

dfects

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

I was originally super confused why we were on cab 26 not 3 tbh. All the older houses in the street next to us are on cab 3 as are, at least according to the postcode checker, the brand new estate they're building right next to us.

When we first moved in, the post code checker told us we were on cab 3 too for a while. I emailed openreach and they told me the houses were mixed between 3 and 26... the post code checker says we're all 26 now so who knows!

Have sent a pm to you
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:01:56 PM by dfects »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »

PM reply sent.  :)

dfects

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »

Thanks once again! You've given me hope  :)

anything