Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Image Editing SW / Win 10  (Read 5860 times)

roswellgrey

Image Editing SW / Win 10
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »

There was a comment in another thread about old image editing software not working on Win 10 and hence a subsequent purchase of new sw being required.
For a free option, Gimp is worth a try at least.
It's User Interface is , let's say, unusual, but it is a very powerful package and runs just fine here on Win 10.
If you haven't heard of it/tried it before, it might be worth a go afore splashing out the pennies :)
Billion 8800NL

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Image Editing SW / Win 10
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »

I've been using Gimp for years on Linux, and I hesitated to recommend it to Kitz because I was unsure if it works on Win 10. Now you've confirmed that it does, I'll add my recommendation.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »

+1  :)
Used on Linux only.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »

Gyazo all the way, especially for screenshots.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »

Gyazo is not an editor though...

+1 for GIMP in Linux

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »

Thanks guys.   

I have a really old version of Photoshop which I purchased many years ago on Student Licence.  I also have PSP Anniversary edition which my brother bought for me as a birthday pressie many moons ago.    I love PSP - before Corel got their mitts on it, it's lightweight and very fast.  It also has one of the best screen cap functions Ive ever seen. 

Windows 10 doesnt seem to like either program, although after much tweaking and many re-installs this morning I have got some functionally back.   For eg PSP kept crashing and Ive been able to overcome that by manually setting paths and running in XP compatibility.  I cant yet get it to open any .psds that I created with it :/   I've been searching on the net re Photoshop, and its a common problem.  Of course Adobe dont care because its a very out of date version.  I ran into a similar problem with Dreamweaver, the whole site runs on a dreamweaver template I created, but luckily that seems to work ok in compatibility mode although I haven't yet had chance to work on any files in it.  Most of the problems seem to be with graphics progs on windows 10.

My PSP licence and Jasc membership still allows me a discount for Corel purchase which is why Im currently testing the trial version, but I'm not sure if I like it.

The issue that I have is that I have a LOT of .psd files.  Most of the site images are stored as .psds which now concerns me because there is no way I can afford Photoshop CC - its silly money.  PSP allowed me to open, edit and store .psds quite happily. 

However look at a screen cap below of the site logo.  Despite Corel supposedly supporting PSD's its obviously not handling grouped layers.
Ive just noticed that GIMP maintains .psd support so I will definitely give it a go and see if it fairs any better   :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:41:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »

Gyazo is not an editor though...

+1 for GIMP in Linux

Stuart

I know, but it's a good related program to use for screenshots...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:02:47 PM »

GIMP installed.

Looks like it has a similar issue as Corel and cant handle layer masks.  At least it can open .psds though :) even though it doesnt display anything properly so no editing. :(

I guess I will have to find a work around and accept its time to retire old software.    GIMP is a very unfamiliar environment for me so it will be a new learning curve (as would Corel) after years of using the other 2 progs.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »

For screen shots: Irfanview

It's also excellent for converting between different file formats and other tasks such as extracting images from pdfs. I've used it for many years.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »

I know, but it's a good related program to use for screenshots...

Not what I need though William. :(  I need something to design in.   The whole site is my own design, right down to the gradient bars and image tab bars on the forum.  The forum skin is from images I made, the main site has 100's of images Ive created from scratch.

I need something a lot more powerful than paint that can cope with lots of multiple layers.. other wise its impossible to do things like this:-

-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »

Not what I need though William. :(  I need something to design in.   The whole site is my own design, right down to the gradient bars and image tab bars on the forum.  The forum skin is from images I made, the main site has 100's of images Ive created from scratch.

Apologies, that must've taken lots of thought and determination, good on you. :)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »

Just a thought, why not have a separate box running W7/XP to do the editing/designing using the old software and then just transfer it to the W10 machine to paste the finished article. Bit of a faff, but might be preferable to other options.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 06:27:37 PM »

For screen shots: Irfanview

It's also excellent for converting between different file formats and other tasks such as extracting images from pdfs. I've used it for many years.

I have Ifranview installed, its one of the first things I put back on.    I agree its a brilliant app and quite lightweight.   I mostly use it for viewing and sorting photos.  :)

I hadn't realised it viewed .psds.   It does quite a good job and will convert to other formats, however it doesn't retain layers and looses any transparency.     For example, the site logo converts ok to another format, but it looses all layers,  the white shading around the letters and ball and doesn't retain the transparent background. 
-----

roswellgrey

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 06:32:03 PM »

oh ... complex situation

Complementary thought to the separate box idea (I type too slow  - was beaten to it  - lol )....

Are you running 10 Pro, and if so, do you have a legit copy (i.e. not been upgraded to 10) of Win XP/7/8 ? (i.e. whatever Win release your version of PSP used to happily run on)

If so (a huge if i know), Pro's Hyper-V virtualisation is good and you could run a XP/7/8 virtual machine just for the purpose of image editing.
A pain I know, but the workflow would remain the same and all the old psd's would be usable - might save many hours .... and might waste many as well :)

[ before I get jumped on by the linux club,  VirtualBox et al is good as well :) ]
Billion 8800NL

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »

[ before I get jumped on by the linux club,  VirtualBox et al is good as well :) ]

Don't worry, we're not militant here. :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything