Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: rogue files in drivers  (Read 1563 times)

July11

• Just arrived
rogue files in drivers
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »

I downloaded Trusteer rapport yesterday and the console wouldn't open - I am not technical- so went to website support. They told me to stop and start programme and when this didn't work talked me through cleaning the rapport files from program data; system32 drivers; program files; and app data (I'm condensing titles) In system 32 drivers I found two files rapport and rapporthades that had a date of 3 weeks before. At the beginning of July I had some problems with the computer and it was reset so I know they weren't there then. I never put them on the computer - knowingly - so I'm wondering how they got there? Does anyone have any idea please? Also any guesses what they are for and if they are suspect what they would be trying to do in system32 drivers?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: rogue files in drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »

The file date will be when the file was modified, in case this it'll be when the developers built the version of rapport that you installed. It won't be when the file was copied into that directory. If you look at the file properties, it may have a creation date, a modified date, and a last accessed date.

I think most security software installs some "drivers", they're more like low-level services really.