Computers & Hardware > Networking

Macrium Reflect.

(1/4) > >>

kitz:
Has anyone used Macrium Reflect for backups?

Ive recently had more or less 2 simultanous drive failures and whilst attempting to recover data found that Windows Backup may have been the original trigger.   Basically Windows backup will continue filling your drive until it is full.  In the past it hasnt been too much of an issue as Ive been at the PC most days and see the message so manually delete some to make more space.   However whilst ill I hadn't noticed the full drive and Windows then attempted to do an auto defrag.   Despite there being room on the D Drive, the E drive reported a failed defrag and from this point on neither D or E are accessible. Windows cant even see the drives.  Ive attempted a recovery using Seagate tools and unfortunately it appears to be the security table that is stuffed so it cant even access any files.

Anyhow moving on.   2 x new 2TB drives purchased and after research finding that Windows Backup filling drives and causing problems is a not uncommon problem, Ive decided to look at other Backup software.  Macrium seems to be quite often recommendend and considered favourable.

So now I have everything installed and Ive made a Macrium Reflect recovery DVD..  Im just pondering over what to do next.   I was about to do a bog standard image of my C Drive.   However reading the instructions on this page made me do a double take and Im not sure now which one I should be using.

I only want Macrium to do a backup of the C Drive for windows to go to E, so I can recover in the event of a system drive failure or need to reinstall windows.
I have various other backup processes in place for working & personal files which utilise PureSync, Replicator & Seagate dashboard to go to the NAS.

skyeci:
Yeap.use the free one on 3 pcs at home. I use it for making an image about once a week of the entire main drive on each machine... works fine. Tested the image back and no issue. For free I cant complain..

kitz:
Thank you for the quick reply :) 

So just to clarify it is the "Image selected disks on this computer" that I need and not "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore windows".

Im presuming that option 2 is more like a direct clone?

skyeci:
Hi kitz

I have ony used  "image selected disks".. Lol had to check which one I use as couldnt remember.. I have tested image selected and it did restore ok. The rescue/boot disc is essential to make.

kitz:

--- Quote ---I have ony used  "image selected disks"
--- End quote ---

Brilliant thanks.   That's was my first instinct, it was only when I RTFM that I became unsure :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version