Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dual booting Win10 & Ubuntu  (Read 4636 times)

gannite6364

Dual booting Win10 & Ubuntu
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »

I have Windows 10 installed on my laptop,i wish to use ubuntu 16.04 alongside it in duel boot mode. Any help much apreciated.

Admin -  edited topic title.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:29:17 PM by kitz »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Dual booting Win10 & Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »

In my experience the Ubuntu installer will give you the option on install to use Grub / a boot loader.  The installer can definitely manage the installation and repartition your HD if there is space.

Personally I like to keep my installations separate (its a work laptop)  so I always buy a cheap HD caddy from ebay and put a disk drive in it and install as a secondary drive replacing the optical drive and install to this (if your laptop has this option).  I then use the laptop BIOS to boot to whichever I want (on a Dell this is F12 key on boot) and that way I keep my Windows disk completely separate and Linux mostly invisible to the IT dept.

If you do end up installing it on your main drive you can alter the default OS which GRUB2 boots to by editing the config file.

Ubuntu will also run quite well from a USB stick if you are just fiddling.

GL!

Chunks

EDIT : I just noticed roseway's beautiful Sticky posts on Linux, installing and everything - worth a look
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:18:39 PM by Chunkers »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:31:20 PM »

Its not quite so easy these days with UEFI and secure boot. Have a look at this guide http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »

Turn off UEFI in Bios.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »

Its a while since I played with it, but last time I tried to set up a dual boot with a Windows 8 machine Ubuntu would only boot in legacy mode and Windows would only boot in UEFI and secure boot mode.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:12:50 PM by licquorice »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »

I thought W10 did not play well with UEFI turned off. I also found that installing linux on an external disk with UEFI on messed up the capability to boot from the HDD when the external drive was off and had to re-install the UEFI options to boot from internal HDD. YMMV  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »

I'm still with Win7 and my new motherboard has UEFI. After some buggering about got dual booting working in legacy mode (UEFI off) and all my different OS's are booting OK. Another reason for not being suckered along the Microsoft trail. I know it's a different set of arguments if you are in a work environment but luckily I'm retired long time. I do do backups but it's done with a batch file driving Winzip command line and the result is burnt to DVD. I should image my C drive really but I'll just reinstall if the worst happens.
Tony

anything