Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lightning strikes survey  (Read 6268 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Lightning strikes survey
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »

Has the advent of FTTC put an end to the lightning strike problem?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 10:19:16 AM »

At home we have been struck twice, the first time we lost 2 PC's, a router and a TV (presumably due to the power surge).  The first event was what made me go out and buy a load of UPSes, surge protectors and a NAS (we lost some family photos)

At work, I was once working at a Natural Gas Terminal in Yorkshire (a large installation on the coast-line where the gas comes ashore from the North Sea).  The terminal took a direct lightening strike and the surge completely destroyed the Control System in spite of the all the protection systems we had.  The sound was extraordinary, like a bomb going off.  It took 3 months to fix.

Something to take seriously, in my experience.

Chunks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

Has the advent of FTTC put an end to the lightning strike problem?

Nope .............. only when it's a fully FTTP network will it abate. Hmmm ?? Is there a debate in there somewhere ??  ;) ;) ;D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »

Just been fixed after quite a major lightning issue here.  Last Tuesday night there was some thunder during the night, didn't sound specially close but in the morning the DSL was bad and phone line noisy.   Shortly after I reported that there was much more serious thunder and lightning killing our line altogether.  Looks as if one pole along the road took a direct hit, the aerial cable was blown to pieces and basically bits of wire everywhere including bursting out of the sheath of the cable running down the pole.    Openreach replaced our master socket and filter just as a precaution, although the line was still off with little chance of a quick fix.

Checking for updates after a couple of days the fault was parked as "beyond reasonable control" with no engineer appointments available.

Everything's back working again today, OR guy said they've had to replace a mile of underground cable along the public road.    So far damage at our house consists of one basic analogue phone stone head (connected in place of our normal phone to check the noisy line, and remained connected during the big hit).   Two out of four Ethernet ports on the router are dead, as is the Ethernet on the printer.   One powerline adapter dead as well.   I don't of course know if the master socket or filter were hurt since OR took the old ones away.   Next door's 582N router blew it's power supply.

The odd thing was that DSL worked during most of the time the phone line was out of service, it ran between 1300 and 1800K downstream, and only 64K upstream.  Sometime with only 1dB noise margin upstream. 

LordFox

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »

I've had kit killed both in my previous house and this one by nearby lightning strikes.

The first one, I was looking out of the bedroom window, watching the storm, when lightning struck the telephone pole right in front of us. I nearly fell over in shock! The modem/router, switch and a NIC in one PC were completely dead. Another motherboard-embedded NIC went dodgy within a few weeks so include that MB too.

Just months after we moved here, a strike that sounded right overhead in the middle of the night killed my next modem/router and another switch. No PC damage that time though.

After that I put a fibre link from the modem in the hallway to the switch rack in the loft, using a fibre converter for the modem end. I need to get another now though. My new modem for my FTTC is also connected with copper to the LAN for reading the stats. I'm just hoping there isn't another strike while I sort things out.

I've never even thought of it before, but no actual phones were harmed. Hmm.

I used to support a few local schools' ICT departments, and one day I was due to visit one for some general maintenance. I got a panicked call from them as I was on my way, asking me to hurry. They had an Ofsted inspection that day, and had been boasting about their new IT infrastructure. Overnight it had been taken out by a direct lightning hit, with melted wires and network sockets, blown switches etc. Not good timing! Most of the PCs survived though.
PN 80/20 FTTC /29 subnet. VMG8324 modem. Mikrotik RB3011 Router. SG300 Switches. /48 IPv6 prefix. PiHoles. Stratum-1 NTP. Fibre around the house.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »

About 8 yrs ago at around 6 in the morning, I was listening to the thunder and lighting whilst l dozing in bed, it seamed to be getting further away, then all of a sudden, bang the house jumped into the air all the lights came on, sound and flash were inseparable, adrenalin went straight to max, other half jumped on me :o , so we cautiously got out of bed and looked around the house, a few extra cracks around the walls but nothing major, was looking around the hall and noticed the phone line was just a black sooty line up the wall finishing with a black puff ball where it joins the outside cable, jelly crimps were well cooked along with the master socket. The PC was plugged into a surge/lighting arrestor socket extension.
My pc which was only 10 days old :o had bitten the dust. Modem was cooked, Tele was alright and the Thompsen freeview box! but vcr died. oh and replace all the light bulbs.
I think it was friday morning because got home and rang BT to report a fault. They came Saturday morning, Engineer was in our street all day repairing cooked phone lines, nearly everyone had lost their Sky dishes (fried LNB's) boxes etc, BT man said that lighting had hit the main transformer to our road and lighting had followed the earth thru to everyones electrics and back up to the connected phone lines.
Having just spend a grand on my pc, I was a bit put out by the insurance companys response, so I told them to ring BT to find out how extensive the damage to our street, so eventually they sent a big check to cover the cost of a new pc.
To this day our phone extention line still remains disconnected due to damage.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »

2014 we had a strike that apparently struck at sea and ran to land frying the nearest house's wiring completely and you could track the damage as it got further away we had blue sparks from wall sockets fried comp and router main phone socket was in pieces the size of a pea ( which BT wanted bagging up as proof  :lol: ) next door neighbour was hit on the back of his head by his master socket  :)   

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »

Circa 2005-ish, I was in the upstairs bathroom when, with no warning of an approaching storm, there was a simultaneous flash and bang, and I saw a blue streak travel diagonally across the floor from corner to corner.

No structural damage, but the casualties were a Statesman phone, caller display unit, router, and a sooty master socket. The DECT phone was OK!

Back in the late 70s, one of my TXE2 exchanges seemed to be in a 'thunder alley' - something to do with the topology of the area I presume. It was a regular occurrence to change a couple of dozen or so welded reeds in the reed relays after a storm.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2]

anything