Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Astonishing MTU/RWIN tweak result?

(1/4) > >>

emgee:
 Having upgraded the firmware of my DG834g v3, I have seen much improvement in my sync speed and SNR. My IP profile went from 3000 to 4000 in a few days. However, real world speed didn't seem to improve. Speedtests were showing around 2300kbps, the same as before the upgrade. Test files were downloading at approx. 265 kb/s. Before contacting my ISP, I tried some tweaks, namely MTU and RWIN. Using DrTCP, I change the settings and rebooted. Then straight back to the speedtests and I couldn't believe the difference! I am now getting around 3800kbps and downloading test files at 470kb/s :o
Naturally, I'm pleased with the results, but what on earth? Can this tweak really make that much difference? No other changes were made.

emgee:
I can confirm that it was defintely the MTU/RWIN tweak that made the difference. I followed the same procedure on my daughters PC and got 2047 before the tweak, 3895 after. See here

colour me stunned :swoon:

For those that are interested, I used 1458 MTU and 153144 RWIN

Astral:
Brilliant news. :)

I'm just wondering whether to give my PC another MTU tweak. Hasn't been done for ages and although logic says the settings shouldn't have altered you never know what may have become corrupted over time. I certainly don't get anything like full speed lately, although that is more likely to be down to exchange contention.

setecio:
Are there not many possibilities of figures to use in the mtu / rwin combo or are there any tools which can work out the best combination to use, or is it just trial and error ?

Broadband1:
Sorry to sound noobish but how you do MTU and RWIN Tweaks :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version