Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Astonishing MTU/RWIN tweak result?  (Read 4781 times)

emgee

Astonishing MTU/RWIN tweak result?
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »

Having upgraded the firmware of my DG834g v3, I have seen much improvement in my sync speed and SNR. My IP profile went from 3000 to 4000 in a few days. However, real world speed didn't seem to improve. Speedtests were showing around 2300kbps, the same as before the upgrade. Test files were downloading at approx. 265 kb/s. Before contacting my ISP, I tried some tweaks, namely MTU and RWIN. Using DrTCP, I change the settings and rebooted. Then straight back to the speedtests and I couldn't believe the difference! I am now getting around 3800kbps and downloading test files at 470kb/s :o
Naturally, I'm pleased with the results, but what on earth? Can this tweak really make that much difference? No other changes were made.

emgee

Re: Astonishing MTU/RWIN tweak result?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

I can confirm that it was defintely the MTU/RWIN tweak that made the difference. I followed the same procedure on my daughters PC and got 2047 before the tweak, 3895 after. See here

colour me stunned :swoon:

For those that are interested, I used 1458 MTU and 153144 RWIN
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:57:56 PM by emgee »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:39:39 PM »

Brilliant news. :)

I'm just wondering whether to give my PC another MTU tweak. Hasn't been done for ages and although logic says the settings shouldn't have altered you never know what may have become corrupted over time. I certainly don't get anything like full speed lately, although that is more likely to be down to exchange contention.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

Are there not many possibilities of figures to use in the mtu / rwin combo or are there any tools which can work out the best combination to use, or is it just trial and error ?

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »

Sorry to sound noobish but how you do MTU and RWIN Tweaks :P

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:39 PM »

Here's the MTU link;

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm

It is largely a matter of trial & error but try Kitz' preferred values first.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »

Well I've finally got round to re-tweaking my MTU and have gone from 3050 to 6750kbps. :) :) :) Beat that!

I used 1430/166800 on  PC running Windows Me.

I had been blaming exchange contention because my profile is 7150 but I became suspicious that my download speed was always 3000kbps+/- whatever time of day I tested.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

Well I've finally got round to re-tweaking my MTU and have gone from 3050 to 6750kbps. :) :) :) Beat that!

I used 1430/166800 on  PC running Windows Me.

I had been blaming exchange contention because my profile is 7150 but I became suspicious that my download speed was always 3000kbps+/- whatever time of day I tested.

:o surely this is highly unusual. I always thought MTU/RWIN tweaks only made small improvements at best ?

AH 'win ME' ... would I be correct in saying such a dramatic improvement would be highly unusual for XP or Vista ?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

There must have been something badly awry with my PC, I think. I've just run speed tests on my work laptop, running XP, and that shows slightly higher download speed but consistently lower upload. Trouble is we are not supposed to install any unauthorised software on the work machines so I can't try Dr TCPing it. Does anyone know how to change MTU/RWIN manually?

setecio

• Reg Member

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »

Thanks for that link, Setecio. I think I'll leave well alone rather than get involved in registry fiddling.

Cowards'r'us

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »

Its normally the rwin that can give the speed increases when tweaking on the higher speeds.

>> Does anyone know how to change MTU/RWIN manually?

Dr TCP is actually a stand-alone and doesnt actually install anything anywhere  Therefore you could remove all trace of it and no-one would be any the wiser.  Just think of it as an easy interface as opposed to editing directly via the registry.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »

Thanks for the info, Kitz, I'll give that a go.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »

Yeah, just run it from a USB disk :)
Chris

tnp

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 02:13:36 PM »

surely this is highly unusual. I always thought MTU/RWIN tweaks only made small improvements at best ?

It depends. On high bandwidth high latency circuits, (like a stellite link) the connection can stall waiting for an acknowledgement..opening up the windows there results in much better throughput.

Conversely on channels with packet loss, getting rid of length re-transits is the name of the game, and here breaking it all into smaller chunks is optimal.

Pages: [1] 2

anything