Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Openreach Demo Ultrafast FTTP Broadband in Mayfair, London  (Read 2714 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
BT Openreach Demo Ultrafast FTTP Broadband in Mayfair, London
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:12:42 PM »

BT Openreach Demo Ultrafast FTTP Broadband in Mayfair, London

BT has confirmed that around 3,000 homes and businesses in Mayfair (London’s West End) are among the first to benefit from its expanded roll-out of “ultrafast” Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband technology, which is today being demoed to local councillors in the area.

Openreach has already made their pure fibre optic lines available to over 300,000 UK premises through older deployments and they’re now working to extend this to 2 million premises around the United Kingdom by 2020.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach Demo Ultrafast FTTP Broadband in Mayfair, London
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »

Pretty embarrassing, frankly, when something like this is news-worthy. Although to be fair BT spending anything more than the bare minimum on network is news-worthy.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »

Can't seem to win with some folk ................ damned if they do, damned if they don't !!  :no: :'(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »

They love to demo and trial stuff, rolling it out is another matter entirely.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »

Point in case.   ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 09:23:45 PM »

They can win with me if they announce a FTTP rollout to all urban areas in the uk.

How does that sound?  :-X

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:48:52 PM »

Got to agree with the other posters, they are demoing that they can roll out FTTP to a few thousand more premises. They've already done circa 300,000, the only thing that's changed is the installation method. Its good that they are improving and speeding up the installations, but it will make no difference to the vast majority.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »

I have a feeling we'd all be more understanding if G.Fast was planned to be rolled out as BT initially unveiled it.

Unfortunately BT have no real incentive to install FTTP were copper already is because they're not allowed to retire the copper network, I can't honestly see any large movement until that is no longer the case.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »

Can't seem to win with some folk ................ damned if they do, damned if they don't !!  :no: :'(

Lucky then that they usually don't. Saves a bunch of wasted effort :P

I struggle to be super grateful when, in 2020, I'll still be on a slower service than the one I had in 2011. If BT don't pull their finger out of the sports rights pie they aren't going to look too great when Virgin are selling 1Gb to 15 million premises and they're managing it to 2 million, with a further 10 million at speeds between 100Mb and 300Mb - all available on Virgin right now, and all to be overtaken when Virgin do their next bunch of speed uplifts.

I understand why they are doing what they are doing, in their position I would probably do the same thing, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, and I am unhappy with BT Group, Ofcom, the ASA and the OLOs that've conspired to create the mess.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »

Fair reply, Ignitionet ............... I'll be honest, I don't need those kind of speeds nor looking at straw polls on DSL forums, do most folk.

I would rather the people struggling to get any kind of decent speed (like Weaver for example), were rewarded with upgrades. I just don't get this obsession some individuals have to get 1Gig symmetrical connection into their premises. Business and heavy res users, ok .......... but for 95% of folk, it's just massive overkill.

It has been said on here before many, many times ..... hardly anybody will give a hoot if VM upgrade their backhaul to allow 1gig connection speeds, what really does the talking is the price of the product !! VM will want to recoup the 3 billion (I think that was the figure), that they've thus far laboured to invest, they won't be giving their shiny new product away for peanuts.

Back to the crux of the argument though, and my feeling is that again, certain individuals would be in uproar if BT weren't keeping them abreast of what was occurring with their rollout programme. In fact, BT would be remiss if they didn't report back on latest developments. Of course, it all helps to advertise their very own product as well, keep it in the public eye so to speak.

The best thing about all this is, it doesn't matter if you, I or Scooby Doo like or dislike what they're doing ....... it's their business.  :P

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

BS I sort of agree with you in that those on high speed VDSL lines should have the capacity to handle modern internet usage, my frustration comes in when BT pull PR stunts to show of things like this when it doesnt reflect what they doing in the real world.  A demonstration of cabinet deployed g.fast would be more fitting as an example perhaps with a TV next to it showing BT sport as a representation of what BT is about currently.

My call for FTTP is not so much for full duplex gigabit connectivity, but more so to get rid of distant dependent lottery and reliability issues needing DLM hacks to keep things ticking.

How will VM pay for their new expenditure? I expect combination of debt, new customers (deploying to areas where they have no coverage) and cheaper maintenance costs. 

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »

:-X

anything