Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home Hub connection problem with solution  (Read 6007 times)

petef

• Reg Member
Home Hub connection problem with solution
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »

My MacBook Pro had never been able to connect wirelessly to the Plusnet Hub One but that did not bother me as I have a second WAP. However when I went to my father’s house I had the same problem with his BT Home Hub 4.

The fix is to give the 5 GHz a different SSID to the 2.4 GHz, e.g. by appending “5GHz”.

By default BT sets the two SSIDs to be the same but this confuses the MacBook and other iThings as well from what I read.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Home Hub connection problem with solution
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »

Thank you for sharing that tip, Pete.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »

I forgot to credit the source of the best answer I found.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub

There was a bunch of other advice on the Interweb including things like disabling 5 GHz. That works but is not ideal.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 06:58:03 PM »

Worth pointing out that the BT help pages mention other (non Apple) devices are also affected, naming Xbox and Android phones.

I have always simply disabled 5 GHz as it does not solve any problems that I experience and for me, in the absence of such problems, 2.4 GHz proved superior.   When experimenting with 5GHz I did tend to give it a different  SSID, simply because it made such experiments more manageable.   Interesting, though not surprised (speaking from gut reaction), to hear that using the same SSID causes issues, I am surprised that was BT's default.   :-\

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »

There are many routers which use the same SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz as default - not just BT - and it causes problems for lots of devices as above.

The new BT Smart Hub has a feature called 'band steering' which is supposed to fix these problems but it hasn't been enabled yet.

mikelj

Home Hub connection problem with solution
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »

Apple devices work fine with an Apple router providing the wifi signal via a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (as you'd expect). I'm not suggesting you should go for the extra expense, but if you have a need for wireless backup of you MacBook Pro (as I did) it starts to make sense.

Mike