Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

Apple Pay transaction limits (again!)

(1/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
This is a subject that's been discussed before.  How do I know, when the cashier rings up a total that exceeds the normal contactless limit (£30), whether I'll be able to pay with my watch ?

Some new information has maybe evolved, thanks to my local Waitrose.  A few weeks ago, with a bill for £90 and a bit, the terminal displayed the 'contactless' symbol.  I offered forth my watch.   The checkout assistance explained, "Sorry Sir, that won't work".   But it did. :D

After several more visits to same Waitrose, I was never offered contactless payment again beyond £30.  But then just once, I was offered contactless for £40 and interestingly, it was the same til.  I formed a theory that particular terminal had been updated.   But yesterday, at a different til in same Waitrose, I was again able to pay.. £60 this time. :)

Interestingly, on the occasions when it works, the terminal simply shows the 'contactless' symbol, not the 'Apple' symbol, despite the fact that normal contactless payments exceeding £30 would presumably be rejected. ???

broadstairs:
This is worrying from a fraud/theft perspective in that I understood that the limit was there in order to prevent large amounts of money being taken if the card/device had been stolen/cloned. It is not something I'd be happy with if I it happened to me, although I dont have the capability with my phone and nor do I want it although I do have contactless cards but that's because I dont have a choice.

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle:
So far as I know, there is no change to the limit for contactless payment with a conventional card, that remains set at £30.   Personally it is the possibility of  accidental payments that worries me, and so I don't actually carry any such cards.

The difference with Apple Pay using the watch is that accidental payments are not possible, I need to deliberately double tap the side bar button to activate it each time I spend - it deactivates again after a few seconds.  That is why the banks are willing to remove the £30 limit.

It's also monitoring my pulse so if I remove it from my wrist, or if I die, it locks itself and then it needs a 6 digit pin to unlock it again.

The danger is it feels a bit like 'free shopping', I can imagine a strong temptation to overspend. :D

mlmclaren:
The terminals always show the contactless symbol regardless of whether it will accept or not..

The reason for the contactless sales going through on certain tills and with certain cashiers is due to a configuration mishap...

This has happened before and the company or card machine vendors send updated configs out to be assigned to cashiers and the tills.

Also the same with Apple Pay and other Mobile payments... it's not mean't to work unless the Apple Symbol is present but it will but just come up as a credit card to the retailer....

However with Apple Pay there has been many occasions where payments have been taken twice or even 3 times in one occurrence... so its not recommended to use Apple Pay unless the contactless machine is advertising Apple Pay compatibility.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: mlmclaren on July 14, 2016, 12:16:08 PM --- it's not mean't to work unless the Apple Symbol is present but it will but just come up as a credit card to the retailer....

--- End quote ---

Incorrect, Apple are quite clear that it can be used as long as either the normal 'contactless' symbol, or the Apple Pay logo, are displayed.

http://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/

--- Quote ---However with Apple Pay there has been many occasions where payments have been taken twice or even 3 times in one occurrence... so its not recommended to use Apple Pay unless the contactless machine is advertising Apple Pay compatibility.

--- End quote ---

I had never heard of this.  A few minutes on Google reveals that Bank of America had some teething troubles, but no other bank seems to have been affected and  I can see no evidence that it was the fault of Apple Pay, or any evidence that anybody with authority is saying it's not recommended.   ?  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version