Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Thank You Power Cut!  (Read 22098 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Thank You Power Cut!
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2016, 04:32:13 PM »

Well, the power engineers have been and gone and as you can see, we've not had a power cut, so the experiment continues. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:43:57 PM by William Grimsley »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »

I definitely think the DLM for my cabinet is very sensitive even a change of SSFP from MK3 to MK2 to is enough to get 3 retrains by the DLM and when the SNRM has hit 4.0dB not one retrain comes in but 2 in under 24 hours so different to other on MDWS

As I said near the start of this thread you gain a lot of knowledge from your own lines behavior  over the years but one thing is for certain no two lines behave the same way even if the stats are identical.

I'd find it hard to believe that DLM paid such real-time effort to monitor all lines closely enough to jump in at 4.0dB.

However, the DSLAM can be configured with an SNRM threshold at which a resync will be triggered - this is one of the standard configurable items in the line profile.. I've not heard of this parameter being varied by DLM, but it certainly could be.

If this parameter were set at 4dB for your line, then the DSLAM would drop the sync whenever SNRM dropped to 4dB or less, which matches your experience, but isn't quite the same as DLM monitoring directly.

The threshold can't be set to 4dB for every line - we've seen reports of sync surviving down to 0dB - and IIRC, 0dB is the default.

I could believe that DLM calibrates a line by observing how much the min & max SNRM values change each day, and deciding whether a changed threshold was necessary. It would actually be the first step I'd design if I were asked to implement a DLM that could vary the /target SNRM/ from 6dB to 3, 4 or 5dB. Which, of course, we've heard rumours of...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »

Well, the power engineers have been and gone and as you can see, we've not a power cut, so the experiment continues. :)

Fingers crossed for lady luck on day 2.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »

Yeah, they've been and gone and completed the work, as far as I know. :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »

However, the DSLAM can be configured with an SNRM threshold at which a resync will be triggered - this is one of the standard configurable items in the line profile.. I've not heard of this parameter being varied by DLM, but it certainly could be.

That would sound right as when you think about it the DLM gathers up data for 24 hours and then acts on what it see's on the next 24/48 period, So a sudden drop of SNRM to 4dB and immediately my line resyncs that does not sound like the DLM to me.

Thanks WWWombat for helping me understand this odd issue that has been with since day one.

And that may explain why William has a lower SNRM after power cut the DSLAM must still think he is on the 6dB target margin one of those quirks of crosstalk during quick modem resyncs  :-\
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:28:31 PM by NewtronStar »

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »

Brilliant, HRJ fault starting on the line!

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »

There's been another spike of Downstream CRC's on the line, something's starting to happen.

Could be something electrical turning on but I'm not sure. The amount is slightly concerning.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:24:54 PM by William Grimsley »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »

Numerous posts removed and thread locked.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]