Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interesting discussion yesterday  (Read 3192 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Interesting discussion yesterday
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »

I'm not disputing there are people with faults out there who just 'put up with it'. But in my experience, both in Telecoms and the real world, peoples stories are usually enhanced for greater impact.

I particularly love the EU who will begin to tell me they haven't had a connection for weeks, when I politely interrupt them to explain I can see they've had a working PPP Session for the last 3 days (the maximum we engineers can see on WHOOSH). I will then go on to say that I can also see their circuit is 'erroring' far more than it should, or that their attenuation is wobbly (all put over in laymans terms of course).

This basically lets them know I know they're over-egging the situation, but rather than fully embarrass them, move the conversation onto the fact I can see something is amiss with their circuit from initial remote viewing of data-graphs.

What I'm trying to say is most folk will generally appease the guy doing the moaning, by trying to empathise with a similar story of great woe. When it boils down to it though, and when put on the spot ...... it will turn out it's nothing like the yarn they created down the pub over a pint.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »

Because you wrote:

I didn't see that you suggested to exhaust ISP support first in your post. Apologies.

Don't apologise, it was my mistake. :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »

@BS I agree with you that this does happen sometimes, probably more than folks realise. However I do also believe that there are far more issues which go unreported than many think. Some folks simply have no idea what is happening to their connection simply because when they need it it works albeit slower than perhaps it should.

Take for example my neighbour across the street fed from the same pole as me, I happened to ask him a couple of weeks ago if he had had any issues with his broadband recently as I was as we know having problems, his response was 'OK I can only get about 30mbps which is a bit slow' so I said before I had my recent issues I was getting 64mbps pretty constantly, at which point he said he would complain to BT (his ISP) because he wanted faster speeds (I think he runs a business from home - although not absolutely sure about that). Now I have no idea if he complained or what if any outcome there was (apart from an OR van visited him a few days ago). However prior to our discussion he had no idea he ought to get significantly faster speeds than he was.

There is a huge amount of misinformation out there about broadband and a lot of misunderstanding as well. Many EUs have no idea what they should be getting in terms of speed or service and that I think is the main point. One which BT and other ISPs have no desire to rectify because it will hit their bottom line, and not one which OFCOM or anyone else feels is important enough to correct.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2]