Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!  (Read 16678 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »

soms - it does if you only want 100Mbps cabling as that only needs 4 wires, so you can run wiring for two 100Mbps sockets with one run of CAT5 cabling. Its a bit naughty and I really wouldn't recommend it anywhere other than in the home but you can get away with all sorts of bodges on 100Mbps ethernet :)

Yes thats quite right  :)

I was referring to someone attaching two lead ends in parallel to one plug.

I had forgotten about the little plastic couplers which allow two leads to be merged into one at each end, very useful if you only need two connections at the end as it saves having to buy a switch.

tuk

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »

Thanks again for all your feedback..
Sorry for the delay, house renovations atm hence the cable questions..so not much time to log on

Im going to be forced to swap ISP's before I can install my network(so much sanding still to do sigh!), AOL 8Mb-->02 16Mb ADSL2  should I?:
1)Replace my faceplate and plug my PC directly into the Master socket while 02 attenuate my line and then return my pc to the bedroom on the extension when they are finished
or
2)Wait until my network is installed then ask them to re-test my line
or
3)Would it be possible to have(until I can install the cable):
1 router into the MS in the living room
1 router in the bedroom wired to pc
Then use the bedroom router to access the net via the MS router using wireless, in effect use the ms router as a wireless gateway with the bed router as the client
4)Something else

remember the maximum you are going to get on ADSL2+ is 24MB so you will be future proof.
...would there be any disadvantages to going up to something like cat6-7..

You can't touch any wire before the master socket - only BT can do that.
Coudnt I replace the wire between the MS and the block terminal so that BT coudnt tell the difference

Just saying that as by the looks of the pic (which doesn't show where you would use a switch so appologies if this is something you already know) in Bed 2 you want two connections.
I would probably run an extra cat cable for this connection

Why don't you get a cordless phone with multiple handsets?
I prefer wired

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »

Im going to be forced to swap ISP's before I can install my network(so much sanding still to do sigh!), AOL 8Mb-->02 16Mb ADSL2  should I?:

Up to you - looking at your line attenuation and current SNR, you may get a 8 - 9 Mbps sync speed with O2, at a very rough guestimate.

1)Replace my faceplate and plug my PC directly into the Master socket while 02 attenuate my line and then return my pc to the bedroom on the extension when they are finished
or
2)Wait until my network is installed then ask them to re-test my line
or
3)Would it be possible to have(until I can install the cable):
1 router into the MS in the living room
1 router in the bedroom wired to pc
Then use the bedroom router to access the net via the MS router using wireless, in effect use the ms router as a wireless gateway with the bed router as the client
4)Something else

1. Think you're getting a bit muddled with terminology there... there is no such process as 'attenuating' a line. Are you thinking of the 10-day training period you often see talked about? If so, this isn't really an issue on a non-BT line.

2. Again, no point if you're switching to O2.

3. Theoretically, yes... IF the router you're using as a wireless gateway supports acting as a wireless access client. Alternatively if all your routers support WDS (wireless distribution service) which in basic terms allows two or more routers to work together to enlarge the wireless coverage footprint of the same wireless signal. I've never set up WDS so I don't know any of the little caveats / tricks etc.

4. Beg, steal or borrow USB wireless dongles (it's amazing how many people now have these floating around spare!) to connect your PCs to the one router - probably much simpler to set up than configuring routers as clients or WDS.

remember the maximum you are going to get on ADSL2+ is 24MB so you will be future proof.
...would there be any disadvantages to going up to something like cat6-7..

Other than that it'd cost a bomb in comparison, no! However, there wouldn't be any advantage either. CAT5e cable runs perfectly at 1Gbps. To be honest, your router probably only supports 100Mbps anyway - you don't need any faster unless you're regularly transferring a lot of data between computers on your LAN, and then you'd have to buy a Gigabit switch. It's up to you, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but like I say, you would see no gain by using CAT6 or 7 instead of CAT5e cable. I somehow can't see 10Gbps home networking being used in the next few years at least!

You can't touch any wire before the master socket - only BT can do that.
Coudnt I replace the wire between the MS and the block terminal so that BT coudnt tell the difference

Basically, you're not allowed to. If you choose to do so and are confident in doing so, that's up to you - just make sure you don't call BT out if it stops working!

I would like to make it clear that replacing BT-owned wiring is an action which is not recommended or endorsed by this website, and you could end up being issued with a penalty charge if BT determine a line fault to be caused by unauthorised modification of their wiring.

Just saying that as by the looks of the pic (which doesn't show where you would use a switch so appologies if this is something you already know) in Bed 2 you want two connections.
I would probably run an extra cat cable for this connection
If you have room to do it and can tidy it away easily enough, go for it. Only other way would be to install a small switch or hub in the Bed 2 room (2 / 4 port 100Mbps hubs / switches are dirt cheap now, or you could even use a spare router if you have one, as simply a glorified Ethernet switch!)

Hope that helps!
Chris

tuk

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »

All good info again, just a quick reply from me ..rush rush rush..Iv got my mac now and 25 more days to use it

If so, this isn't really an issue on a non-BT line.

2. Again, no point if you're switching to O2.

Its a BT line Iv got, as far as I understand u need a BT line to get 02,ideally I would rather have all my cabling down before the 'training period'..wireless dongles may be the answer to tide me over until then..then means my training period should be accurate for my new cable..Ima bit foggy here..Im thinking the training stuff will happen between my router and 02's kit in the exchange..so everything I plug into my router wont effect it? ie wireless dongles etc..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »

>> Im thinking the training stuff will happen between my router and 02's kit in the exchange..so everything I plug into my router wont effect it? ie wireless dongles etc..

Correct.   

Although to stand the best chance make sure you use the master socket if you havent already got around to ensuring that your internal wiring is at the best it can be.

Also whilst Be/O2 do have a training period it isnt quite as strict as the BT one - ie theres no IP profiling to further limit your speeds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything