Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dect Phones?...  (Read 7985 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Dect Phones?...
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

Am I right in saying its only this brand of phone that destroys your internet connection, or is it all brands/models or handsfree landline phones?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Dect Phones?...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »

DECT phones are usually fine with ADSL, but occasionally they can cause interference which destabilises the connection.
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »

They certainly affect wireless signals and can destroy them completely if the base station is right beside the wireless router.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »

I am told that kicking the router around with different brands of footwear can also have varying results.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »

I am told that kicking the router around with different brands of footwear can also have varying results.

I'm sure it does  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »

apart from the fact dect phones kick out strong interference within 30cm (hence Setecio's advice about keeping the units away from your router, half a meter should be more than enough) Also worth keeping DECT's a small distance away from speakers, tv's etc so they don't pick up anything specific. The problem dosn't usualy arise unless the base unit is right next to the affected item.

The chances of a DECT causing problems on your broadband is the same as any other electrical item in the house. If you do find a DECT is causing specific problems then I would guess it's just down to that particular item rather than the fact it's a DECT or the make and model

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

part from the fact dect phones kick out strong interference within 30cm (hence Setecio's advice about keeping the units away from your router, half a meter should be more than enough) Also worth keeping DECT's a small distance away from speakers, tv's etc so they don't pick up anything specific. The problem dosn't usualy arise unless the base unit is right next to the affected item

Well I didn't know that they can produce a large amount of interference within 30cm.

Atm I have my DECT base on a shelf right above my router although the former often gets turned off at night. I will try moving it as my line speed shed about 400K a couple of days ago although i'm not complaining as i'm getting just over 5000K on what is probably around a 3.5 - 4KM line.

I am using a Netgear DG834 which is very stable but I did use a BT Voyager 220V when the ADSL was first provided and that kept sycning lower. I was happy with it and had even started using my DECT phone on broadband voice but port forwarding didn't seem to work, hence I went back to my trusty Netgear.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:14 AM »

I am using a Netgear DG834 ....

That is the 'wired only' version so it won't matter .

DECT phones only affect the wireless signal when using a wireless router eg. the DG834G

(unless it is a malfunctioning REIN generating one)

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »

I am using a Netgear DG834 ....

That is the 'wired only' version so it won't matter .

DECT phones only affect the wireless signal when using a wireless router eg. the DG834G

(unless it is a malfunctioning REIN generating one)

Indeed that makes sense  :-[

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »

As for only affecting the wireless signal...

it's luck of the draw as to wether it effects just the wireless, just the sync, both , or neither.

Any interference issues never fall into a hard and fast rules, all you get is a trend..

It's dependant on the signal generated and if soething in range is in tune/harmony with it.

As Soms said he wasn't aware of DECT's strong noise within 30cm, good, just means any combination of your set up aren't in tune with each other so no effect is noticed.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »

It goes without saying (but nobody's said it here yet so I will!) that if you do have wireless range problems then try changing the wireless channel on the router's wireless config page.
Chris

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

It goes without saying (but nobody's said it here yet so I will!) that if you do have wireless range problems then try changing the wireless channel on the router's wireless config page.

You will need to use channels:

Channel 3

Channel 7

Channel 9

if you own a Belkin N1 series router, as it appears the wireless interferes with the DSL chip and can cause intermittency on the line.

L.Goile
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.