Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Post Office phone only, can I get FTTC?  (Read 1788 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Post Office phone only, can I get FTTC?
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »

Hi

I asked this over in ThinkBroadband but haven't got an absolute answer.

If I take the Post Office phone only package, does that still allow me to have FTTC from any other supplier in the same way a BT phone line would?

Regards

Phil

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Post Office phone only, can I get FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »

In principle, yes. The only caveat is that some ISPs will only sell you a combined phone + broadband package, and some (PlusNet for example) charge extra for the broadband if you don't get the phone service from them.
  Eric

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:23:21 PM »

I believe the Post Office mainly use Talktalk LLU so you may also get some ISPs who won't provide a service on this basis as they don't consider it a 'BT' line

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »

Hi

In principle, yes. The only caveat is that some ISPs will only sell you a combined phone + broadband package, and some (PlusNet for example) charge extra for the broadband if you don't get the phone service from them.

Many thanks, yes I understand some want to bundle both together, but those that don't should allow me to order but then...

I believe the Post Office mainly use Talktalk LLU so you may also get some ISPs who won't provide a service on this basis as they don't consider it a 'BT' line

... I may not be able to order then.

Regards

Phil

[Moderator edited to insert the second, correct quotation.]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:17:24 PM by burakkucat »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »

companies selling broadband without line rental is becoming much less common, and most won't do it at all now. are you still under home phone/line rental contract with the post office? or is it done form of staff discount you want to take advantage of. I can't see any particular advantage to taking post office home phone, as opposed to broadband and phone from the same provider.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

Hi

The advantage is a new property that needs a line installed and the Post Office is not only a few pounds cheaper per month but saves £60 to £130 new line install charge.

I tend to go for a more business orientated ISP/package and they are still available without taking line rental.

Regards

Phil

SteveR

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »

I had phone only from Post Office with ADSL from O2/sky. Unless it has changed recently only combined phone and broadband use Talktalk.

Steve