Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG612 Line Stats - help needed  (Read 4599 times)

jimmyca69

Re: HG612 Line Stats - help needed
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »

Just to resurrect this, after the above PlusNet looked into the issue and noted i was on the 40/20 for some reason.

They did some tests and came back to me saying an engineer visit was required. Engineer came last Thursday (28th) he did some tests and said all ok but would need to go to exchange for further checks.

He came back and said everything was OK and in the end he had to ring through and request i was put onto 80/20. He was quite annoyed (i say annoyed, not that much!) that they hadn't managed this before sending him out - which was what PN actually said they would request.

Anyway after that i was syncing around 55/20 which was much more like it was. It seemed a little up/down after this but settled and speed tests etc showed connection OK. It all settled down and all sorted i thought.

However today i was clearing my junk email folder out and noticed 2 automated emails from MyDSLWebStats...

1) Thurs 28th - "Just to let you know that G.INP is now disabled for your line. Automatic message from MyDSLWebStats"
2) Sun 31st - "This is an advisory mail to let you know that G.INP is now enabled for your line with Downstream Sync of 39999kbps ...Automatic message from MyDSLWebStats"

So i just checked on my HG612 and the line is now back to 39,999 sync downstream  >:(

Any suggestions of how to approach this? My stats should be online from when my PC has been on, not sure if that has caught anything. I also have copies of the test results from PN (GEA ones?) that i can share as well.

Thanks

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:13 PM »

But there is no Openreach 40/20 speed product. Plusnet's 40/20 did not limit the sync speed. I'm guessing the thing that the engineer phoned someone up for was actually a DLM reset. The DLM reset removed the 40Mb banding, which the DLM later automatically put back again. I don't think it's possible for Plusnet to do a FTTC DLM reset themselves, so I don't think they could have done it before sending the engineer out.

jimmyca69

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »

But there is no Openreach 40/20 speed product. Plusnet's 40/20 did not limit the sync speed. I'm guessing the thing that the engineer phoned someone up for was actually a DLM reset. The DLM reset removed the 40Mb banding, which the DLM later automatically put back again. I don't think it's possible for Plusnet to do a FTTC DLM reset themselves, so I don't think they could have done it before sending the engineer out.

Ok noted, its the 40/20 banding i mean not a product.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »

I am starting to think DLM is bugged out somewhere, the amount of banding lately seems way excessive.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »

It certainly sounds like the engineer has phoned for a DLM reset. This has removed the banding, but also removed G.INP and left your line with no interleaving or error correction, effectively completely open and on fastpath. This has resulted in a huge number of Error Seconds. I can see 2000-3000 per hour from the very short period you uploaded to MDWS. This has triggered DLM and reapplied the exact same banding to your line. The only way to have this removed would be another engineers visit, which Plusnet may not be as keen on a 2nd time.

If you do manage to get another DLM reset I would certainly be manually limiting my download sync considerably to reduce ES till G.INP is turned back on to try prevent the exact same thing happening again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jimmyca69

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »

It certainly sounds like the engineer has phoned for a DLM reset. This has removed the banding, but also removed G.INP and left your line with no interleaving or error correction, effectively completely open and on fastpath. This has resulted in a huge number of Error Seconds. I can see 2000-3000 per hour from the very short period you uploaded to MDWS. This has triggered DLM and reapplied the exact same banding to your line. The only way to have this removed would be another engineers visit, which Plusnet may not be as keen on a 2nd time.

If you do manage to get another DLM reset I would certainly be manually limiting my download sync considerably to reduce ES till G.INP is turned back on to try prevent the exact same thing happening again.

Thanks for this, very useful

Possibly dumb question but how would be best to limit download sync manually?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »

What modem are you using?

You need to open a cmd and type "telnet 192.168.1.254", then type your username and password, then type adsl info --maxDataRate XXXXX XXXXX 1000000 or xdsl configure --maxDataRate XXXXX XXXXXX 1000000.

The first XXXXX being the Downstream Rate and the 2nd being the Upstream Rate you wish to limit too.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »

I am starting to think DLM is bugged out somewhere, the amount of banding lately seems way excessive.

:drink:
I can only agree
Pages: 1 [2]